The Top Reasons You Should Study Abroad in Europe!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

1. The Guys
The guys are more put together and beautiful than the best looking guy that you can find at UD.  That’s a promise. You say chivalry is dead? Not in Europe! The men are more than happy to treat you like the princess you are.  Also, get used to PDA, being inconspicuous with your significant other is not even a consideration for Europeans.   

Most likely/unusual place to find PDA: the metro.  No matter how many times you take the metro, there will be at least one couple in every car that looks like they are on the first day of their honeymoon.

2. The Food

Don’t you just want to hang at a café with your best friends eating a pastry that is far more delectable than anything you can find at home? Europe definitely wins the award for cutest cafés around. Who can be mad when these foods are at your fingertips at all times? Pasta, scones, churros and chocolate, tea, hummus, café con leche, macaroons, pizza, paella, and tapas. Try and tell me your mouth isn’t watering right now.

Be prepared to eat your way through whatever country you study in.  But don’t worry; you’ll be burning off all those calories by walking, and climbing to the top of cathedrals. The food is worth the calories, go hard or go home.

Don’t leave these restaurants off your to do list if you have a chance to visit any of the following countries:

Barcelona: Check out CDLC, or Carpe Diem for an awesome lounge experience, guru, bo do b, and don’t forget the Boqueria (market) on Las Ramblas!
Paris: l’as du falafel, la duree, Peirre Herme, le Jules Verne, Angelina’s

Madrid: Cien Montaditos
Granada: Don’t miss out on La Chicota, café futbol (best churros and chocolate),candelas (get the pancakes), and el agua.

Florence: La Giostra is super chic but definitely worth the cash
Ljubljana, Slovenia : Must try Caocao

Prague: Definitely eat at Lokal
Manchester: Petra has awesome Mediterranean food and it wont let you down!

3. The Shopping

The clothing in Europe is unreal compared to the U.S.  You’ll probably feel like you’ve been wearing garbage bags your whole life compared to the clothing you can find in these stores.  It’s guaranteed that you will come back to the U.S. dressing way cooler than ever before and you will feel absolutely fabulous about it. 

Here are some must shop at stores:

• TopShop (UK),
  • Pull and Bear,
  • Primark (UK),
  • Mango, Bershka, Zara (it’s way better in Europe),
  • River Island, El Corte Ingles (Spain),
  • and Galleries Lafayette (Paris)

4. The Culture
Going on vacation to a foreign country allows you to experience the bare minimum of that country.  Studying abroad in a foreign country will have you convincing your family at friends that you’re an official native. 

Naturally, checking out all the famous hotspots like the Eiffel Tower, the Coliseum, Segrada Familia, La Alhambra, Big Ben (The Elizabeth Tower), and the Leaning Tower of Pisa will be a priority but living in a country for a long period of time allows you to immerse yourself in a culture that is so unfamiliar.  You will learn things while studying abroad that you never would have otherwise and it is worth every dollar.

5. The Unique Living Arrangements
If you have the opportunity to live with a host family, you should grab it at the first instant.  Living with a host family will allow you to undoubtedly experience the culture.  You will learn the language, the food, and most important the true way of life in your host country.  A little extra bonus, everything is done for you. Your host family will do your laundry, cooking, and cleaning.  You wont have a care in the world, and you will come back to the U.S. asking your parents why they don’t provide 3-course gourmet meals everyday.

Living in an apartment is an experience that allows you to learn the culture in a completely different way from those who live with families.  You will learn to become independent in a foreign world.  Navigating your way through supermarkets and setting up your apartment will force you to understand and appreciate the way the people of that country live. Not to mention, you have the opportunity to live with your best friends for a semester, and you don’t have to worry about stepping on the toes of a host family.  

6. The Friendships

On the first day of your trip, you might not know a single person.  On the last day of your trip, you will be best friends with everyone.  Traveling throughout Europe and experiencing such amazing things will bring you and the people on your trip together in ways you never thought possible. Being together all day everyday is the best possible way to bond. Once you get back to the U.S. you will have serious separation anxiety and set up reunions to reminisce on the smallest of experiences that happened while abroad.

7. The Nightlife
Say goodbye to sweaty/gross frat parties and say hello to colossal sized clubs where everyone looks their best and parties their hardest.  Starting your night at two a.m. is the norm and going out every night of the week won’t leave you bored.  Studying in Spain? Do yourself a favor and take advantage of siesta time. You wont regret it.

Check out these nightlife hotspots all over Europe:
Barcelona: Catwalk, Opium, Shoko, Icebarcelona, Chupitos
Granada: Campus, Granada 10, el Camborio, Mae West, Chupiteria, Hannigans
Paris: Prescription, Rasputin, Le Baron, The Crazy Violin, Wide Open Spaces, Café Oz, Queens Club
London: Fabric
Florence: Cenrtal Park, Space
Madrid: Kapital
Berlin: Fluc, Flex

8. The Classes

I know what you’re thinking. How can the classes make the top ten list of why I should go abroad?
Here’s why. First, your foreign professors are likely to be way more awesome and chill than any professor you’ve had at home. This is simply because Europe is way more awesome and chill than home. Next, you’ll probably have classes that are solely based on field trips, and who doesn’t want a class based on sick historical sites? Lastly, your classes are undoubtedly going to be easier and less stressful than at UD.  How can you be stressed if you’re studying in a café with a pastry and a cup of coffee? Studying abroad is about learning, so why not start in the classroom?

9. The Travel Opportunities

When in your life will you be able to travel to a different country every weekend? Never, unless you study abroad! Traveling in Europe gives you the opportunity to easily hop on a plane, bus, or train to any city in the country you are in or to another country. It’s likely to be easier than booking a trip from Delaware to Florida for the weekend.  You may not be spending a ton of time in each place, but hey, it’s worth the inexpensive trip.  Finding a place to stay isn’t that difficult either, hostels aren’t as creepy as they are in the U.S. and splitting a hotel room with your friends can be inexpensive and simple. 

So what are you waiting for?

Have any interesting study abroad experiences that you’d like to share? Let us know! Tweet us @hercampusudel, or post on our facebook page

HCXO,

Her Campus University of Delaware

Sara studies at the University of Delaware (go blue hens!), and absolutely loves it. She is currently studying communications and english with a professional writing concentration. and is fostering a developing interest in public relations after having been introduced to the field through the Public Relations Student Society of America at UD. That has inspired her to concentrate in public relations in the future, though she is a firm believer in getting a well-rounded education and taking a bunch of classes in various subjects. Wherever her education takes her, Sara has always had a passion for writing and will continue her writing in any way possible throughout the remainder of her college years and beyond! Born in New York City, she appreciates and is preparing for the fast paced lifestyle of a city girl, but enjoys the more relaxed nature of her hometown on the Jersey Shore (though she is not affiliated in any way with the cast of MTV’s Jersey Shore). Only minutes from the beach, Sara tries not to take the beautiful atmosphere for granted. Similarly, she tries not to take anything else in her life for granted, and in this sense, prides herself on her strong work ethic. She believes that when life gets tough, it’s only because something great is on the horizon. She adores music, her family and friends, movies, writing, magazines, and travel. Sara cannot wait to see what else college has in store for her, and is ready to take more risks and live with no regrets. She is beyond thrilled to be part of the Her Campus team, and looks forward to writing and editing content that focuses on an audience of college women dedicated to achieving their aspirations.