This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

As time goes by, things seem to be a little more “back to normal” every day. Covid vaccines are being more accessible to the public and activities feel more comfortable to go out and feel safe. With all this in mind, it seems that most universities and colleges will be opening their doors back up for in-person classes. Unfortunately for me almost into my junior year, I have never been on campus. I’ve visited UD and been to Newark like any Delaware native but I’ve never been a part of campus as a student to go to a class on campus, been a part of the college culture, lived on campus and did not meet friends in-person. In reality, I would feel like a freshman starting over and have no idea where I am going and what I am doing. With that being said here are a few things I’ve learned to help with the transition.

1. Learn your surroundings: Having the opportunity to be able to learn the area on campus and figure out what buildings classes would be in and how long it would take to get there helps to provide some confidence in where things are. 

2. Join clubs: Being a part of clubs and events that are in the same interests you have is a great way to meet new people and make friends when in a new, unfamiliar place. Whether it is in person or on Zoom, being able to meet other people can help out in transitioning onto campus.

3. Take time to adjust: Moving overall is stressful, especially during and after a pandemic. Taking the time to breathe and relax by staying in can help decompress a new adjustment from home.

I am very excited about the new college experience I will be able to have and hopefully we’re closer to normal than we currently are. Being on campus for the first time can create new anxiety for Freshmen and Seniors alike, but I hope these tips can help!

Kaitlynn Evans is currently a Senior attending The University of Delaware majoring in Criminal Justice with a Political Science minor. Outside of school, she is working with the 153rd Military Police Company for the Delaware Army National Guard. Some of her favorite things to do for fun are traveling to new places and going on hikes with her dog.
Contributor account