Six Ways To Feel Put Together Even When Your Life Is Falling Apart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Article by Holly Brooks

College is a wonderful terrifying time in life. Everyone is trying to act like we know exactly where we are headed in life, but let’s be real – no one has a clue. The weekly struggle of balancing school, extracurricular activities and a social life is exhausting for anyone, so, here are six simple ways to help feel more organized, confident and put together on a daily basis.

1. Rocking the right pair of shoes

Let’s be real, putting together an entire outfit for a day of classes is not ideal. The right pair of shoes can turn your whole outfit around without exerting too much energy and give you a little confidence boost every time you look down. Whether it be some trendy slip on flats or your favorite Nikes, pair them with your favorite leggings and you’ll be ready to take on the day!

2. Wearing Sunglasses

These. Are. Essential. Don’t feel like putting on makeup? Sunglasses can fix that. Afraid of seeing your ex or that kid you hooked up with last weekend? Shades will minimize the awkwardness.

3. Putting on a face mask

Putting on a ten-minute mask is such a simple, yet satisfying way to pamper yourself when you have little time. Help avoid stress breakouts by putting one on while cleaning your room or studying for an exam. Your skin will thank you later.

4. Starting your morning right

Getting up 10 minutes before you usually do may seem like a terrible idea, but giving yourself that extra time can be a blessing in disguise. You’ll find you have more time to pack your bag before class, make yourself a cup of coffee, or even put on a little pop of makeup. Adding a little extra self-care to your morning will give your day a kick start.

5. Making your bed

On a day when you have 40 seconds to spare, make your bed. When you go to get in bed after a long day of classes and work, pulling back the sheets of your nicely made bed will make it that much more satisfying to finally lay down. It will make you feel organized and plus, you didn’t put in time and effort picking out cute throw pillows just to pile them up in the corner.

6.  Planning things out

It sounds cliché, but it works. Writing things down is essential in college when you have a million things going on at once. Investing in an affordable, cute planner can make your hectic week of exams, meetings and daily responsibilities seem a little less daunting.

So, even though this “college thing” is super messy, new and scary, these are six tricks to make sure you make it through every day feeling like your best you.

Kaylee is the former President and Editor in Chief for Her Campus at the University of Delaware. She held this title from 2017-2020 and wrote for Penn State's chapter as a contributor prior to this. Now a proud UD class of 2020 alum (B.A. in Public Policy and Writing), Kaylee is completing her Masters in Public Health. Aside from writing, Kaylee was involved in many activities as an undergrad. She wrote for three college publications, was a Blue Hen Ambassador tour guide, worked as a Starbucks barista, and was the Director of Operations for the Model United Nations at UD.