This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

This week, I had the pleasure to speak with small business owner, Colette Brancaccio. She is a Junior at the University of Delaware who turned her passion for positivity into her own business. In just two years, she has grown her dream into a company that specializes in customizable gifts.

Her Campus: What made you first want to open a small business?

Colette Brancaccio: I was first inspired to open a small business to combine my creativity and positive spirit to add new and quick products to the gift-giving market.  As a recent high school graduate at the time, I was familiar that that gift-giving had become an impersonal act, the choices of many being cash, check, or gift card.  As we entered graduation season, and with it graduation parties and celebrations, I found this “problem” required a creative solution that both gift-givers and receivers would appreciate. The ongoing mission of BHive Designs is to create both innovative and affordable gifts for any occasion, with a particular emphasis on giving back to the community.

Custom wine glasses
Original photo by Colette Brancaccio

HC: Your business is called BHive Designs? Is there any meaning behind the name? How did you choose it?

CB:  The name BHive Designs comes from my family’s motto to always “Bee Positive”, and since we are a big family, there is always something going on, and we call ourselves the “busy bees”. Due to this, I thought my business should be similar to a beehive-full of sweetness and lots of creativity buzzing about, but also highlight my last name, hence BHive Designs

Girl in mask
Original photo by Colette Brancaccio
.HC: How long has your store been open?

CB: My store has been open since June of 2019!  So it’s been nearly two years of creativity, giving back and spreading sweetness.

HC: What type of products do you sell?

CB: I sell everything from buckets to masks to drinkware to keychains to home decor!  All of the products I sell are customized by hand.\

Custom bucket
Original photo by Colette Brancaccio
HC: What is your most popular item? What is your personal favorite item?

CB: My most popular item is the stuffed bucket, which I customize for every occasion.  Customers select a color scheme, message and occasion.  Once the order is placed, I will attach a label on the outside of the bucket and fill it with different goodies within the color scheme.  It is especially popular during graduation season!  My favorite item as of recently has been our hand-dyed reusable masks for two reasons.  As an education student, I spent time in the classroom during the Coronavirus, and found that these masks kept me safe and comfortable during the 6 hours of in-person teaching!  We have also donated a number of these masks through our “Buy One, Give One” program to the pediatric oncology unit at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in NYC.  So when you purchase a mask, not only are you protecting yourself, you are passing on the sweetness to someone else!

Custom gift basket
Original photo by Colette Brancaccio

HC: I know you are an Elementary Education major. Were you intimidated beginning a business when your major wasn’t business related?

CB: I honestly can’t say I was intimidated by it!  There are so many resources online for small businesses these days, and the community of small businesses owners is so welcoming and supportive that I know whenever I need assistance I have a team backing me up with guidance and tips.  This also keeps my business life separate from my teaching life, and I am able to give full energy to both without ever being exhausted.

HC: What advice would you give to someone who wants to begin a business but doesn’t know where to begin?

CB: It may be daunting getting started, but once you are up and running, you’ll wish you did sooner!  I have experienced it all over these past two years, and getting started was definitely the most challenging.  Due to this, you should never be afraid to reach out for help, as you always have a team of small business owners ready to support you! This experience has been nothing short of spectacular, from meeting other small business owners like Jenny Wu from Jeneration Jewelry, to having my products sold in my hometown’s boutique, to receiving the sweetest of reviews from my BHive bee-uties!

HC: Where can people find your store through social media?

CB: My store can be found on…

Instagram @b.hive.designs

Pinterest @bhivebeauties

TikTok @bhive.designs

Facebook @BHive Designs

Email bhive.beauties@gmail.com

Orders can currently be placed through linktr.ee/BHive and our website will be up and running soon at https://bhive-designs.square.site/

HC: Is there anything else you’d like to give us information about?

CB: I keep every aspect of the business as eco-friendly as possible, from recycling paper to use as filler in packages & buckets, to using all scraps in some manner of another. For local delivery, I ride my bike to deliver packages to keep our carbon footprint low, and reuse boxes from inventory for shipment! This even extends to my products, such as our wine glasses, that are made completely from recycled water bottles. One of my favorite parts of the business is that it is always adapting and I plan to make even more eco-friendly changes in the future.

Even though it isn’t the holiday season anymore, there is always an occasion to shop from a small business! Go out and support the people creating handmade products with love!

Reusable tumblers
Original photo by Colette Brancaccio

Ashley Marino

Delaware '21

Ashley is a Senior at the University of Delaware with a major in English and a double minor in Environmental Humanities and Public Policy. She is currently the Co-CC for the Udel chapter. She was previously a writer and an editor.
Colette Brancaccio is a current senior at the University of Delaware. She is studying Elementary Education with a Concentration in Special Education. She enjoys reading, going for runs, & random dance parties. She is also the Founder and Owner of BHive Designs, a growing business that provides inventive & affordable gifts for any occasion while promoting service to the community.