This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

This week, I took writing a profile as an opportunity to create a unique way of outlining my goals. While it is obvious that I am not actually talking to my “Future Self,” I wanted to use the perspective as a way of talking about things I wish to be and achieve.

Her Campus: So, how old are you now, are you doing okay?

Future Self: You are 30 now, so 9 years in the future. You are definitely doing well.

HC: Are you happy with the career you chose? 

FS: Yes. You didn’t end up going to law school like you’d hoped but you found a career that suits you very well. You work for a nonprofit organization where you help people and have the opportunity to write policy about issues that matter the most to you. 

HC: Did we ever get to live in New York City? 

FS: Yes. Even though people feared New York was “dying” during the pandemic, you have been able to live in your very own apartment. They were all wrong, New York is doing just fine. You decorated your first place with your best friends and it was perfect. 

HC: What’s an average day like for you?

FS: It’s a lot different than what I did at 21. I get up early and take a shower, followed by breakfast. I actually eat breakfast during the morning hours now. I take a cab or the subway to work and try to make the most out of each day. I always try to make time for the people in my life and usually make or get dinner with someone important to me. I end the day by working out or eating ice cream, whichever I think will make me feel the best that day. And most importantly, I make it a priority to laugh, eat good food, and have fun each day.

HC: Are you happy?

FS: Yes. Things are a lot different at 30 than they are at 21. You have different priorities and responsibilities. But you’re happy. You don’t weigh yourself 5 times a day anymore. You process your emotions in a healthy way. You learned some new skills to keep your mental health balanced. Your life is full of love. Yes, you have bad days and days where you rely on your coping skills more than others, but you are confident you won’t feel that way for very long. Enjoy being 21 and every year between then and now, each year gets better and better.  

This exercise was interesting and something I would suggest everyone should do. I know not everything in this “interview” will happen but it’s a nice way to see the things you want written out on paper. 

Gina Magliocco

Delaware '21

Gina is a Senior at the University of Delaware and the current President of the Her Campus UDel Chapter  She is an International Relations major with a minor in Public Policy.  She enjoys writing very much and has also been published by "Young Professionals in Foreign Policy." Gina is from Westchester, New York. 
Contributor account