How to Keep the Fall Spirit Alive Amidst a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

The first official day of fall was last Tuesday, so it’s finally appropriate to drink your pumpkin spice lattes and switch out your wardrobe. These cooler seasons are where October babies like me thrive. Even though we’re living in a vastly different autumn season than we were last year, you can still enjoy some of your favorite things. Below are just a few ways to keep your fall spirit alive in these weird times.

Decorate Your Home Classroom/Workspace

Whether you’re currently on campus or working remotely at home, a change of scenery is always necessary when the seasons change. Online shopping is the perfect way to give yourself something small to look forward to while also improving the quality of your workspace. Places like Target, Etsy and Wayfair have an assortment of decor that is sure to catch your eye and get you in the fall spirit. 

Stream or Watch Halloween Movies 

One of my favorite things about this time of year is the variety of movies from classic horror to the Disney Channel Original movies we all grew up with. The increased popularity of Zoom and Google Chrome’s Netflix Party extension make the ability to have movie nights with distant friends and family incredibly easy. There is an abundance of horror movies and series on streaming platforms like Hulu, Netflix and Prime. For those of us still using cable, Freeform recently released their 31 Nights of Halloween schedule which features all the usual gems.

Pull Out Your Favorite Hoodies

I’d be lying if I said that the best thing about fall isn’t the switch in fashion. Right now, comfort is something we all need. Some of the simplest ways to include comfort in our everyday lives this fall are wrapping yourself in a soft blanket while attending a Zoom lecture, increasing your hoodie collection while swapping them out throughout the week and wearing whatever the hell you want from the waist down because nobody is going to judge you.

Get Your Fill of Fall-Themed Sweets

For many people, their love language is food. I’m happy to tell these people that your time to shine is now. Not only can you find dozens of fall recipes on sites like Bon Appetit and Delish, but you can buy those adorable Pillsbury Shape cookies with pumpkins on them at your local grocery store and make as many of them as you’d like. If you want to keep yourself warm and cozy during class or work, fix yourself a cup of hot chocolate. You deserve it. 

Right now, we are experiencing a fall season unlike any other, but we can make the best out of it in small ways every day. Make the best of this time of year and use it to take care of yourself.

Martina is a Sophomore at the University of Delaware, majoring in English. She loves reading, writing, making playlists, and spending time with her dogs.
Contributor account