This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Earth day is a very special day to me. Earth Day is more than taking one day a year to plant something or donate to a cause. Today is about awareness and growth that will continue everyday so we can better this place we call our home. Here are some simple easy ways to get involved in your communities or help causes you believe in!

Reach out to local horticulture societies

Every state, if not every county has horticulture societies that has a variety of volunteer opportunities to help in many ways. Gardening, transportation, working booths, there are many ways to help and always are looking for volunteers especially during the spring and summer months. Check out American Horticultural Society to see what clubs, events, or activities are happening near you to get involved!

write to you local government

If getting dirty is not your thing there are still ways to make an impact! Writing letters or emails to the government may sound scary however many organizations have drafted letters for many different issues concerning climate change, global warming, and cleaning initiatives. Just make sure to read through to make sure you fully support their causes or write your own letters!

Go outside

Going on a hike or going to the beach and enjoying nature is a great way to celebrate today! While going out and appreciating the beauty, pick up trash along the way and make sure to not to disturb any wildlife and ecosystems off of main trails.

Places to check out

There are so many places to donate and get involved with but here are a few of my favorite organizations!

Kaitlynn Evans is currently a Senior attending The University of Delaware majoring in Criminal Justice with a Political Science minor. Outside of school, she is working with the 153rd Military Police Company for the Delaware Army National Guard. Some of her favorite things to do for fun are traveling to new places and going on hikes with her dog.