body images 2019 07 29 friends pottery barn2028129jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 07 29 friends pottery barn2028129jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

‘Friends’ Thanksgiving Episodes Ranked From Worst to Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

We all have our own Thanksgiving Day traditions; some watch the Macy’s Day Parade, others watch football, some plan their Black Friday moves. My Thanksgiving Day tradition is watching the Friends Thanksgiving Episodes. Yes, all ten Thanksgiving episodes. Since this has been my tradition since I was about twelve and I am now twenty, I would say that this qualifies me to determine which Thanksgiving episodes are good and which are not. So without further ado, here are the Friends Thanksgiving episodes ranked from worst to best. 

10. (The Worst) The One with Rachel’s Other Sister – S9 Ep 8 

I’m going to be honest, this episode does not leave much of an impression on me. Normally, I like the episodes with the characters’ family members, but Rachel’s sister Amy is just not my cup of tea. Sorry, Amy. 

9. The One With the List – S2 Ep8

This episode isn’t technically a Thanksgiving episode but it mentions Thanksgiving (RE Monica’s job interview where she has to cook with Mockolate) so we’re going to count it. I really am not a fan of this episode. Ross and Rachel get into a huge fight since Ross is a huge jerk that decides to make a list of who he should date (please do not follow in his footsteps). I think this episode just proves the rocky start of their relationship.

8. The One Where Chandler Doesn’t Like Dogs – S7 Ep8

This episode is pretty funny, I’m not gonna lie. Joey’s explanation of a ‘Moo point’ gets me every time. Plus the special appearance from Klunkers definitely boosts my appreciation for this episode. 

7. The One Where Underdog Gets Away – S1 Ep9 

This episode is honestly a pretty important one as it lays the foundation for how Chandler hates Thanksgiving. While it does provide a bonding experience for the gang where they’ll spend Thanksgiving together for years to come, it doesn’t compare to the hilarity of some of the other episodes. It still is pretty good though. 

6. The One With the Late Thanksgiving – S10 Ep8

This episode is fine. Honestly, I think that the reason I ranked it so low is because I found it so disrespectful that Monica’s friends completely disrespected the fact that she cooked them a whole meal that she didn’t want to make in the first place. However, I do find the scene where Joey rips Ross’ pocket off to back up their story of being mugged to be one of the funniest in the series, but unfortunately, that is not enough to boost this episode up on the list. 

5. The One Where Ross Got High – S6 Ep9 

Any episode where Jack Gellar makes an appearance is one for the books. This episode with the clear disdain for Chandler (even though it hasn’t been clear in any other episode) is hilarious. I also love the scene where everyone is yelling out their ‘secrets’ because truly, how could you not? 

4. The One With the Football – S3 Ep9

I love watching the montage of the group playing football because it reminds me of how my friends would play. I would be a combination of Rachel and Monica, meaning I suck at football but I’m also uber-competitive. 

3. The One With Chandler in a Box – S4 Ep8 

Okay, I was never a very big fan of Cathy (and by that I truly mean Cathy and not her actress because Paget is a goddess) but this episode is so pure. It really shows Chandler’s dedication to making up with Joey (though he never should have had to because Cathy was not worth ruining a friendship over). 

2. The One With All the Thanksgivings – S5 Ep8

I love the secrecy of this episode. Flashback episodes have always been one of my favorite kinds because I love knowing who the characters used to be. I love how Chandler and Ross were depicted as the typical cool guys coming back from college for the holidays. And the revenge plot with Monica and Chandler is just *chef’s kiss*. Also, the turkey on the head? Hilarious. 

1. (The Best) – The One With the Rumor – S8 Ep 9 

This episode is truly one of the best episodes and no, you can’t change my mind. First of all, Brad Pitt is truly just *heart eyes* and his banter with Rachel is just amazing. You truly just cannot beat this when it comes to Thanksgiving episodes. 

And there you have it, my ranking of the Friends Thanksgiving Episodes. Agree or disagree, you probably won’t change my mind. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating. 

Caitlin is a Senior at the University of Delaware. Her major is International Relations and she has minors in History, International Business, and Social Justice. When she's not writing for Her Campus you can find Caitlin running around campus (most likely with an iced coffee in hand) or with her friends.
Contributor account