This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Online dating has opened a whole new world of potential partners for everyone. When the pandemic struck last March, many of us were left single and lonely. With so much time to ourselves, sometimes we just want a new person to talk to. 

Many apps have made this possible, like Bumble, Hinge, and even Tinder. I’ve been there, and I’m sure you have too. But, in the age of social media, it’s important to be smart when it comes to talking to people online. 

Here are some do’s and don’ts when it comes to seeking love online:

Don’t rush into anything. When it comes to online dating, many of us feel excited when talking to someone new. If you’re forming a connection with them quickly, it’s normal to feel eager. But it’s important to remember there is no rush to meet. It’s important to be cautious and really get to know who they are as a person. Building trust and being safe in the online dating world is more important than ever.

Do trust your instinct. If you have a gut feeling that this person isn’t the one, you’re right. Even if friends tell you to give it a chance, it’s important to trust yourself and if you don’t feel comfortable talking to someone, get out as soon as possible! 

Don’t have high expectations. It’s important to realize that not everyone is on dating apps to find love. Many just create profiles to find potential hookups or what I like to call, “nothing serious” or “something casual”. Because of that, make sure to not take anything personally. Be certain in what you’re looking for because someone you may be interested in may not be looking for the same things you are.

Do be yourself. Because you’re introducing yourself to this person online, make sure you stay true to yourself. Sometimes, many people feel that they have to paint themselves as the perfect partner, but in reality that’s unrealistic. If you’re on a dating app to find a true connection, maintain your authenticity, and if they don’t like that, they aren’t the one!

Don’t fall for the instant flattery. Many users tend to over flatter or over compliment their matches. Personally, this always makes me uncomfortable because in retrospect, it’s a stranger telling you how beautiful you are. No thanks. This is usually a red flag. The right person will want to get to know you, your hobbies, and your interests before overwhelming you with love and affection. 

Dating is hard for sure, and it can be difficult to find a connection with someone. Keep trying and hope for the best. Good luck!

Kavya Beldona is a sophomore at University of Delaware. She is majoring in Marketing with a minor in Business Analytics and Advertising. She enjoys singing, writing, and listening to music.
Contributor account