Style > Decor

5 Tiny Dorm Room Items That Make Life So Much Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Finally leaving home also means leaving all the great things we take for granted behind. Between the communal bathrooms and kitchens, along with roommate-less double dorms (and for some of us, triples), things can get a little empty, lonely and inconvenient pretty quick. Here are a few things that have been keeping me extra comfortable during my first college semester. 

1. Diffusers. Having a diffuser is so so relaxing! Mine also serves as a little night light that turns off after 6 hours so I don’t have to worry about it in the morning; essential oils are super good for you and help calm stress, headaches, etc. My favorite scents to use are lavender, peppermint and eucalyptus. 

Get yours here from Amazon 

2. Himalayan Salt Lamps. Having a salt lamp is a super cute, trendy and useful decoration. I feel like I’ve been seeing rocks and crystals everywhere lately! Once the sun sets, it’s so relaxing to have some calming hues in the room without turning on those huge ceiling lights.  

Get yours here from Amazon 

3. Mini-Humidifiers. Humidifiers are so good for your skin and body, and I feel like so many people are missing out on this underappreciated essential. If you wake up with a dry throat, lips or skin, this is perfect for you and will make getting up in the morning a little less difficult. Some humidifiers even allow for essential oil use, so it can double as your diffuser!

Get yours here from Bed Bath and Beyond 

4. Stuffed Animal Heating Packs. These are so cute and lowkey – you’ll never lose your heat pack for sure! There are so many different options, but my personal favorite is the tiger – linked below – because it’s so adorable and goes perfectly with my dorm’s colors. 

Get yours here from Smoko Now

5. Electric Kettles. These are great for making oatmeal, tea, etc in a minute! An electric kettle definitely makes you feel more at home by sparing you from heating your water in the microwave. I always feel like a great host when I have friends over and I can serve them whatever they want without running down five floors to the kitchen. 

Get yours here from Bed Bath and Beyond

Hopefully some of these things will, if not already, make great additions to your dorms! During this unprecedented time, it is so important to actively practice self-care and create a comfortable and positive environment around you. Have a great spring semester!

Sarah Rata

Delaware '24

Sarah is currently a freshman at the University of Delaware with a major in exercise science on the physical therapy/physician's assistant track. She enjoys embroidery, music, and cooking. Sarah is passionate about activism, body positivity, and overall wellness.
Contributor account