This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

As women, we’re often held to a higher standard than men, leaving us to fall behind and feel as if we have to work twice as hard to complete any goal we set our minds to. It can be difficult for us to feel confident and frustration comes easily, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try. When I’m feeling down or like the world is out to get me, I turn on my favorite songs and let the lyrics wash over me. This week at Her Campus, we’re celebrating fearlessness. To fit that theme, I’ve listed five of my favorite songs by female artists that will make you feel like you can do anything. 

1. “successful” by Ariana Grande

“Sweetener” as a whole is one of my favorite albums, but if you’re looking for a song that fully encapsulates the feeling of getting your dream job and bringing home that first paycheck, look no further. Even when I was an unemployed teenager, this song turned me into a 20-year-old businesswoman. Plus, it doesn’t hurt to relive the simplicity that was the year 2018.

2. XS” by Rina Sawayama

Like Ariana’s “7 Rings,” Rina Sawayama’s “XS” is about getting any and everything you want simply because you can. It has all the best qualities of early-2000s pop music with a unique spin that’s consistent through her entire album. After getting that dream job with “successful,” you’ll probably want to blow all your money on some new clothes or that car you’ve been looking at for months. Rina can help you with that.

3. As I Am” by H.E.R.

H.E.R. is easily one of the coolest artists today. This song is guaranteed to not only bring your cool factor up to ridiculously high levels, but it’ll also keep you moving after a bad day, perfect for jamming out at your desk or that solo dance party you have scheduled for later tonight. Try not to take everything so seriously, and let yourself relax. 

4. NOW” by Olivia O’Brien

Maybe you’ve gone through a breakup recently and you’re in that messy anger stage. Turns out, Olivia O’Brien has the perfect song to get you through it and make you feel like the baddest bitch on the planet (which you already are). The music video is colorful and fun, referencing women like Britney Spears, Gwen Stefani and the sometimes questionable fashions of the early 2000s. Get over your ex with this song, and don’t take the single life for granted!

5. Circles” by Megan Thee Stallion

Would it really be an article about female empowerment without at least one Megan Thee Stallion song? I’d be lying if I said she wasn’t my favorite person, and it’s just an added bonus that her songs never miss. Are you feeling frustrated, or is that one person in your life really just getting on your nerves? Blast this song from your speaker, and let all of your frustrations melt away. If you need an extra boost, shuffle Megan’s Spotify page, and thank me later. 

Some honorable mentions include “Roaring 20s” by Flo Milli, “Man’s World” by Marina, “I Did Something Bad” by Taylor Swift and “Better Than Me” by Doja Cat. Any of these songs will easily wash your worries away and have you feeling on top of the world in no time. Give yourself a break every now and then, and embrace everything you’ve got going for you. Don’t take it from me, take it from the women above.

Martina is a Sophomore at the University of Delaware, majoring in English. She loves reading, writing, making playlists, and spending time with her dogs.
Contributor account