This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Asexuality is one of the lesser known and discussed sexualities, and is defined roughly as the lack of sexual attraction. Due to the lack of awareness, there is a lot of misinformation both in the mainstream and the LGBTQ+ communities about it. Here are 5 myths that many people believe about asexuality:

1. All asexuals hate the act of sex and will never have it

First of all, like many things, asexuality exists on a spectrum. While some might be considered “sex-repulsed,” many others are open to having sex for their partners or simply for physical arousal. Asexuality actually has very little to do with the act of sex: it’s simply the lack of sexual attraction.

2. Asexuality is always the result of trauma

Again, this is true for some, but definitely not all, and is a harmful stereotype. In addition, some asexuals have experienced trauma, but the two have no correlation. 

3. Asexuals just haven’t met the right person

Sexuality is fluid, and while some asexuals might begin to experience sexual attraction while in a long-term committed relationship, most don’t, and that’s ok– it has nothing to do with the other person, and the non-asexual partner should never assume that they aren’t good enough. 

4. Asexuals are broken and need to be fixed

This is the most damaging myth because it often leads to corrective sexual assault, a huge problem within the community. A man can’t “turn” a lesbian straight or bi, and similarly, no one can “turn” an asexual, especially not through force. 

5. Asexuals are not a valid part of the LGBT+ community

Throughout the past decade or so, there has been a lot of debate about asexuals’ place within the LGBTQ+ community. I don’t understand this because the extended acronym is LGBTQIA+, and the A stands for Asexual. A common argument against this is that asexuals experience no oppression and thus do not belong in safe spaces– this is both false and goes under the assumption that to be part of a community, you must be oppressed. In reality, asexuals deserve to feel safe and welcome in LGBTQ+ spaces.

More awareness about asexual issues will hopefully decrease the stigma and end corrective sexual assault. 

For more resources, check out:

LGBTQ+ Resources from UD Student Diversity & Inclusion

The CDC Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health resources page

Julia Spina is a sophomore double majoring in Psychology and Sociology at the University of Delaware. She is interested in studying mental illness and aspires to become a clinical psychologist. She enjoys singing, listening to Taylor Swift and emo music, photography, astrology, and skateboarding in her free time.
Contributor account