Your Complete Guide to Aphrodisiacs, and How to Use Them With A Partner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Aphrodisiacs are a food that arouses sexual instinct, brings on desire or increases sexual pleasure / performance according to healthline.com. The name “aphrodisiac” is derived from the Greek Goddess of love, Aphrodite. They come in many different forms, such as spices, plants, drugs, or different types of food. 

Here are a few of the most accessible and widely used Aphrodisiacs that you can pick up and start using with your partner or by yourself.

1. Maca

Said to be one of the most powerful natural aphrodisiacs, Maca is a sweet root vegetable that grows in Peru, and is also known as “Peru’s natural Viagra”. It is said to boost fertility, increase libido and erectile function. It is widely available in powder form, which can be used in tea and smoothies.

Most studies say 1.5-3.5g of maca per day was sufficient in the studies timeframe of 2-12 weeks, with little to no side effects documented for Maca. 

According to Marta Montenegro, a Nutrition Fertility Lifestyle Specialist, “the plant’s roots are rich in magnesium and fibre which are good for improving stamina and well-being.”

1. Oysters

Oysters are high in Zinc, which can boost semen production and regulate sexual hormones, boosting testosterone production in men and is known to boost the production of dopamine, a hormone which increases libido in both men and women. Oysters for a romantic dinner tonight then?

1. Garlic

If you don’t mind the smell, then keep reading as this one might be for you. Garlic is known to include Allicin, which is a compound thought to increase blood flow to sexual organs. To see results however, one must consume some form of garlic daily, in either capsule form or just by itself, for a month to reap the benefits.

1. Fruit

Apples have been found to be a powerful aphrodisiac in women, after researchers found that eating an apple a day can improve the sex lives of women. Watermelon is thought to be a powerful aphrodisiac due to the content levels of citrulline (an amino acid) which relaxes and dilates blood vessels, akin to Viagra and other drugs meant to treat erectile dysfunction. Apples, cherries, pomegranates, figs, and strawberries all include polyphenols and antioxidants that can stimulate blood flow to sexual organs, helping with arousal.

1. Chillies

Chillies contain an ingredient known as Capsaicin, which is responsible for making chili peppers spicy. According to research, Capsaicin stimulates nerve endings on the tongue, which releases adrenaline (the chemical that increases your heart rate and releases endorphins). Capsaicin is also known to boost testosterone levels and increase libido.

1. Essential Oils

There are also specific essential oils which contain aphrodisiac properties and can get you in the mood, which may be the easiest way to use them with your partner. Its said that the scent these oils give off can trigger erections and sometimes can give women more orgasms during sex.  Keep in mind however, more research is required to determine if these actually work well, but initial research has determined that they do have some effect.

The ones said to have aphrodisiac effects on women include:

-Clary Sage

-Lavender

-Sandalwood

-Ylang Ylang

Scientists have found that these essential oils are said to have aphrodisiac effects on men:

-Carpolobia

-Eurycoma Longifolia

-Casimiroa Edulis

-Ginseng

So, this valentine’s day, whether you are on your own or with your partner, perhaps some of you would like to introduce these into your diet (in the case of food) or your relaxation time (we all love a bit of essential oils!) and maybe this Valentine’s day will blow your masks off! 

Disclaimer: I said that last sentence to try to be funny, instead of saying “blow your socks off” as this way it’s more relevant to this time, but PLEASE wear your masks!!

My name is Emma, and I'm originally from the north west of Ireland! I'm a journalism student in DCU, and have loved reading and writing ever since I was young. I'm a big lover of music, and also do some modelling work on the side!
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!