Style > Beauty

Is Winter Weather Drying Out Your Skin? Here’s How You Can Fix It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

aving dry skin in the winter is virtually inevitable no matter what your skin type. As we head into November and the weather turns against us, we often wonder why our skin turns flaky and scaly. As a girl with dry skin myself, I think about how the layers of moisturiser I just put on vanished into thin air! Be not afraid, as I’m here to help with some tips and recommendations to make sure your skin feels light, dewy and full of moisturise again. 

So, you might ask, well why does my skin get even dryer in winter? There are many reasons for this, and we can start with the obvious: the brutal winter weather. As the humidity levels drop, the air outside becomes cold and dry. 

Our skin is made up of loads of little pores, and water vapour is continuously lost through evaporation. The dryer and winder the weather, the faster water evaporates from our pores. This process is further accelerated when we huddle up next to a heater that blows direct heat on our skin. 

As much as everyone loves to sit next to the fireplace with a cup of hot chocolate, little do you know it’s harming your skin! 

Due to the pandemic, we have all become accustomed to washing our hands a hundred times a day. Although it is so important to keep cleaning those hands, the frequent exposure to alcohol in hand sanitizers and soap can strip away the natural oils your skin produces. Investing in a good quality hand cream is a must this season, as it helps replenish the oils leaving your hands super smooth and smelling heavenly. 

Now that it’s established how we all become Medusa in the winter, what can we do? Here are some products that will not only turn you into the beautiful Aphrodite but also be gentle on your bank account! 

We have to start with a good moisturiser. I think we have all heard of the godly Skincare by Hyram. If you have watched any of his YouTube videos or TikToks, you will know how much he raves about CeraVe. Let me tell you the hype is real! 

CeraVe Moisturising Cream is suitable for sensitive skin and is fragrance-free. It contains three different ceramides which help protect and hydrate. One application lasts an entire day, whether on your face or body. It has become trendy in Ireland so make sure you nab it quickly from your local pharmacy or online. 

If you have ever gone onto The Ordinary website, you would know how difficult it is to choose the right products from its range of 50 oils, serums, creams and cleansers. This brand has everything you could need at a fraction of the price. Although some of the names make you feel like you are in chemistry class, the Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5, is just a serum. 

Hyaluronic acid can attract 1,000 times its weight in water, offering deep, penetrative hydration through multiple layers of skin. Just a few drops in the morning and night before applying a cream will do the trick, and the bottle will last ages! 

A facemask is a must in my self-care and skincare routine! I much prefer a face mask I can apply with a brush rather than a sheet mask. It is more environmentally friendly and doesn’t leave a slimy feeling after you take it off. 

One mask I keep coming back to is the Eau Thermal Avenue Soothing Moisture Mask. It both smells and feels like a spa. The thermal water calms any irritation, softens weathered skin and reduces redness. Why not treat yourself after a long week and give your skin the love it deserves! 

Dry skin is an issue for everyone during the winter season, but don’t let that stop you from feeling and looking your best self. Stay hydrated and moisturise to your heart’s content!

HerCampus DCU Co-Chairperson
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!