This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

The weather is never too bad for your outfit, your outfit is simply too bad for the weather. The transition in to winter does not necessarily mean you have to switch up your entire wardrobe to accommodate the colder weather. Simple tweaks and some staple items will transform your idea of winter fashion, so scrap any ideas you may have had about living in leggings, hoodies and that god-awful Regatta rain jacket you’ve had for the past 5 years.

Winter Warmer Accessories:

Brave the crowds of Penney’s in one foul swoop and get all your bits in a quick shopping trip. Grab yourself a cute wooly hat – grey goes with most outfits. Also get a pair of gloves, a scarf, and invest in several pairs of tights. They even have fleece-lined tights that are the cosiest things to ever exist. Boys get yourselves a beanie, scarf and gloves also because you never know when they might come in handy. If you’re a lover of ankle boots in winter, then get some wooly socks that you can wear inside them!

Staple Coats:

Boys and Girls, if you’re not feeling 100% one day, and your outfit is a bit dreary, a nice coat will be your saviour. They are worth the investment, so spend a decent amount of money to get a good quality coat that will last you through a few winters. You’ll look timeless and trendy, as well as being comfortable and warm. If you end up investing in a coat that doesn’t have a hood or isn’t waterproof, just buy a cheap compact umbrella. You’ll be grand.

Footwear:

Boots. Just get some waterproof, trendy, black boots. They go with everything, they’re warmer than a pair of runners, they look classier than runners, and you won’t have damp feet after trudging through puddles and general murkiness all day. Timberland, Topshop/man, and Schuh always have deals on, and sell high quality footwear for a pretty reasonable price (considering how long they’ll last you). As well as being a staple in your winter wardrobe, they can be worn all year round also, depending on the pair that you decide to invest in.

2018 Trends:

If you’re here to just look for a 2018 winter fashion guide, and what’s trendy right now, I’d advise you invest in some animal print, some cord co-ords, typically anything burgundy, a teddy coat or some chunky runners. These have been the transitional trends into winter 2018 and if that’s your focus is- you’re welcome, I guess. Remember- it’s Black Friday this week, make the most of it.

I’m studying media and politics in DCU. Deputy Events for HerCampus DCU!
DCU campus correspondent 2018/19. Third-year media studies and politics student in DCU. From the beautiful city of Kilkenny. Opinionated about social issues. Enjoys writing a cheeky article here and there. Loves everything to do with queer culture and is obsessed with drag. Works part-time as a receptionist and one day hopes to work for an online media publication. Loves Her Campus and all it stands for.