This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

We’re all guilty of doing a cheeky little Insta stalk of our exes once in a while. It’s honestly human nature and there’s not much we can do in defiance of that. In all honesty, stalking your ex’s socials is not healthy and is a very bad idea, for many many reasons. Here are just a few of those reasons and why you should think before you search.

They can see you watching their story

If they’re someone who likes to check who’s seeing their content, then you are in big trouble. If they see your social handle in the list of people who have seen their story, it’s game over. They’ll know you’re having a little snoop about and then that could lead to an awkward conversation that no one wants to have after a breakup. Believe me, I know from experience. And honey do I wish I could forget that.

You may accidentally like a picture

I think everyone is aware of the biggest cardinal rule when doing your stalking. DO NOT DO THE DOUBLE TAP! I know we do it by instinct but honestly, we need to control ourselves. There is nothing worse than that horrific feeling of realising you’ve liked one of their old photos from four years ago of them blacked out in a field is not something that will do either party good. They’re weirded out that you liked their photo, you’re horrified at yourself for such a mistake, it’s not the vibe besties.

Your relationship ended for a reason

I know it can sometimes be hard to admit, but if you have an ex-partner the majority of the time it’s not the best idea to keep looking back on old memories. Pain can be dredged up by even the simplest things, a meme on Instagram or one of those zodiac posts. If you keep looking at their socials the temptation to text them will increase and your pain, confusion and emotions will be high. Save yourself the anxiety. Life is already stressful enough and the last thing you need is to add to that.

People are a privilege

The people you choose to have in your life should feel privileged that you have chosen to have a relationship with them. If your ex-partner has caused you pain, has hurt you or just been a plain idiot, they’ve abused their privilege. You do not need to have people in your life who are going to take advantage of your kindness and love. You must remember; you are worthy of love and deserve the best from everyone. If that person can’t even do that for you, you DO NOT need them.

All I ask is if you choose to do a cheeky snoop every once in a while, just protect yourself and your feelings. I am guilty of it too! I’m telling you this with love, don’t stalk their Spotify. That is when you know you have a problem.

You deserve the gold standard so don’t settle for anything less!

Senior Editor. Your Culture Vulture. Law and French.