What to watch on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

With the Winter weather well and truly here, we all need something decent to put on the telly. Here are 4 great watches available on Netflix now.  

The Sinner  

One of Netflix newest additions, The Sinner tells the tale of a seemingly ordinary young mother who goes to the beach one day with her family.  She leaves the beach in handcuffs and covered in a stranger’s blood.  

The 8-episode series, starring Jessica Biel, puts a new spin on the murder mystery as it is not about the who, but rather the why. As police struggle to find the motive behind Cora Tanetti’s outburst, her missing memories of a summer years before spark the interest of one detective. 

The psychological thriller will have you on the edge of your seat and will keep even the most insightful viewer in the dark until the very end.  

Jack Whitehall: Travels with my Father 

Comedian Jack Whitehall spent his youth doing stand-up gigs anywhere that would have him. As a result, he missed out on the ‘going abroad with your mate’s holiday’ that is almost a right of passage today. Going with a better late than never approach, he decides to head to Southeast Asia for the ultimate backpacking experience. However, Jack does the exact opposite to what every 19-year-old would do and invites his father to come along.  

Jack and his father are so different in every way, putting the duo in close proximity on the opposite side of the world makes for comedy gold. Jack’s difficult father will be familiar to everyone as that family member that causes all the trouble at Christmas! 

The light-hearted travel documentary follows their adventures and their arguments as the pair bonds like they never have before. With each episode lasting approximately 30 minutes, ‘Travels with My Father’ is the perfect show for when you need to watch something short and sweet.  

Stranger Things 

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve heard of Stranger Things. If you haven’t watched it, that needs to change. With the second season released in October, there’s plenty to keep you going for the Winter season.  

The show follows four friends whose world is turned upside down when their friend vanishes one evening. Strange things happen all over town, a mysterious science lab starts to look suspicious and it seems evil has come to Hawkins.  

Stranger Things is the perfect show to watch- or re-watch – this Winter. With fantastic actors, a great soundtrack and an even better storyline, the Sci-fi thriller will keep you hooked from start to finish.  

The Rewrite 

A one hit wonder Hollywood screenwriter, played by Hugh Grant, has hit empty on his creative juices and finds himself without money or a job. Desperate for cash, he accepts a job teaching screenwriting at a university, despite believing that talent can’t be taught. Here he meets Marisa, a mature student who shows him the more positive side of life. 

So stereotypical it hurts, this romcom is perfect for winter evenings when you want to curl up with a cup tea and watch a good love story.  

Journalism student in Dublin City University with a passion for creating, storytelling, styling and presenting.