Style

Wardrobe Staples For Going Back To College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Soon we’ll be going into a hybrid of learning, with most of our lectures and seminars online and others on campus now and again. Of course, you’re going to want to be comfortable sitting at home doing some work, but you still want to get out of your loungewear now and again, especially if we’re only in college the odd time! 

We can easily fall into a trap of spending loads of money on a back to college wardrobe, buying separate pieces for working from home, and heading out with friends or to class. Instead, choose some key pieces that can be dressed up and dressed down, making them ideally versatile and transitional.

Joggers

Let’s start with the basics of all basics – a few simple pairs of joggers will go a long way. These can be bought in virtually any clothing store, including Penney’s, New Look, and H&M. Go ahead and pick these up in a few different colours to get you through the semester. 

At home, throw your joggers on with a simple t-shirt or jumper, paired with your favourite cosy socks and you’re good to go! If you want to keep it casual but dress it up a bit more, style with a long-sleeved bodysuit, an oversized shirt, and chunky runners. Comfortably trendy, without feeling too overdressed.

Shackets and Shirts

Stay on-trend and snug with an oversized shacket (shirt jacket) or shirt that will seamlessly help you transition from hibernation to the real world. When heading out, a shacket can be worn with a wool jumper and leather-look leggings for a trendy and eye-catching outfit. 

This extra layer is ideal for the bipolar weather we’re experiencing now, making sure you’re not too warm or too cold (depending on what you wear under it)! When you get home, throw your shirt over some regular leggings, joggers, or even pyjamas for an extra layer to keep you warm coming into winter months.

Jumpers

Basic crew neck jumpers can be bought in any clothing store under a variety of budgets, from Stradivarius to River Island, there’s an endless number of jumpers out there so why not buy a few? Style your sweatshirts with absolutely anything; leggings, joggers, and shorts for a comfy, casual style ideal for pretending you got fully dressed for a Zoom call. 

If you need to head out after a few Zoom calls simply throw on a pair of jeans or leggings. To further dress it up, a cropped jumper can be worn over a midi dress or with a skirt for a roomy yet fashionable outfit. 

Wide-Leg Trousers

When plans get in your way of wearing pyjamas all day, wide-leg trousers are the next best thing. These trousers are roomy and stretchy giving you an extra bit of room to bloat if you have dinner plans (and nobody will even notice).

Culottes can be dressed up or dressed down by simply accessorising. With a wide range of designs and colours, you will have no trouble embracing your unique style, while still sporting a snug outfit.

Whatever the occasion, any of these pieces mentioned above can be dressed up or dressed down. While you’re shopping don’t forget to pick up a few basic tees to go with these staple pieces and most importantly, make sure you have enough face coverings!

Journalism student and editor of Her Campus for DCU.
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!