Vegan and Vegetarian recipes that don’t break the bank.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Going vegetarian or vegan can seem very daunting, especially in college on a student budget. The truth is that if you know where to start it instantly becomes easier. Having a few cheap and simple go-to recipes can make all the difference. Plenty of recipes can easily be made vegetarian or vegan by replacing the meat with things like lentils, Quorn, tofu or tempeh. 

1) Tofu Stir-Fry 

Tofu costs about €2 per block and is a source of HBV protein. It is highly adaptable as it absorbs the flavour of whatever it is marinated in. 

Leave it to soak in a teriyaki, soy or sweet and sour sauce for about an hour.  

Add to a pan with some veg and fry until they are a golden colour. 

Serve with some rice or noodles and you’ll have a super tasty dinner packed with protein and healthy carbs.  

2) Spaghetti Bolognese 

Boil brown spaghetti for 10 minutes, while it’s cooking prepare veggie Bolognese. 

Red lentils are super cheap in Aldi and are a high source of protein. 

Boil half a cup for about five minutes until they become soft. 

Fry some peppers, onion, garlic and carrots in a pan until they start to soften.  

Add the lentils, tomato puree and tinned tomatoes and let it simmer on a low heat for about five minutes. You can also add some Quorn mince as a great meat substitute. Serve with pasta and some grated cheese or fresh basil. 

3) Mushroom Risotto 

Risotto rice can be found in Aldi and Lidl for super cheap, so you can make a fancy sounding dinner without breaking the bank! 

Chop a handful of mushrooms, half an onion and some asparagus.  

Fry the veg for a few minutes until they have softened. 

Next add in some risotto rice, followed by vegetable stock. 

Add the stock slowly once the rice starts to absorb it, it will take about twenty minutes in total to cook. 

Optional: add some white wine for flavour, the alcohol will burn off in the cooking process. 

Serve with fresh herbs. 

4) Vegan Cinnamon Rolls 

These super easy cinnamon rolls will have you feeling autumnal in no time. Pumpkin spice who? 

For this you’ll need some fast-acting yeast, 3 cups of plain flour (yeast acting as the raising agent), 8 tbsp of vegan butter (or regular butter if you’re making the vegetarian version), 1 cup of milk or non-dairy milk, 5 tbsp of sugar, ½ tbsp of cinnamon and a pinch of salt. 

First, mix a packet of dry yeast with melted vegan butter and milk (room temperature as otherwise the yeast won’t activate).  

Leave it to sit for 10 minutes while the yeast activates and transfer to a bigger bowl. 

Add 1 tbsp of sugar and a pinch of salt followed by the flour, one cup at a time. You may not need all of the flour so add it slowly. 

Once it becomes too thick to stir, start kneading on a floured surface. 

Leave the dough in a bowl coated lightly in oil for an hour until it doubles in size. 

Roll it out and coat it with melted butter and a mix of the remaining sugar and cinnamon. Roll into a log shape and cut individual pieces. 

Bake for 20/25 minutes at 180 degrees.

Just a vegan who loves to write about food, travel and all that good stuff!
 21 Campus Correspondent for HC DCU  Love interviewing empowering people to give them the love and attention they deserve!