This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Anyone that listens to podcasts knows that True Crime is one of the most popular and ever-growing genres on the platform. If you have yet to delve into the world of podcasts, then hurry, because you’re missing out. There are so many fascinating true crime podcasts out there, from unsolved mysteries to discussions and series dedicated to specific crimes. You can listen to podcasts on your podcast app, online and on Spotify; they are that accessible. Here is a list of some of the most talked about true crime podcasts at the moment that you should get stuck into. 

1. The Teacher’s Pet (The Australian) 

This podcast follows the disappearence of Lyn Dawson who went missing 36 years ago and it has been a cold case ever since. This podcast has become so popular, that it even reopened the case in Australia leading to some startling findings. This podcast gets you hooked from the very beginning, and it is fascinating to hear how this case was treated by authorities at the time. It is extremely well researched and exposes some unknown details about Lyn’s personal life, and most importantly her relationships. It has 16 parts with new suspects and witnesses being introduced in each episode. A Netflix documentary wouldn’t be able to give you details this mindblowing. This podcast has created waves in the media recently and this just shows the power of investigative podcasts. 

1. Casefile True Crime 

With 106 cases to choose from, you will be spoilt for choice with this podcast which is rated as the best crime podcast around. Each episode ranges from 1-2 hours, and focuses on a different crime, that can be crazy to creepy and everything in between. This podcast gets straight to the point, with the narration reeling you in (while also giving you chills). Most of these episodes can be quite graphic in detail, so it is not for the faint-hearted. Perfect for that long train journey home but maybe not so much for that late night walk down that dark alley! Some episodes to check out include Case 88: Stephen Hilder, Case 12: Katherine Knight and Case 11: Annaliese Michel. 

1. My Favorite Murder with Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark (Exactly Right) 

It is the narrators Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark who make this show as addictive as it is. They have a very informal format (which includes lots of laughs and giggles) so if you’re into straight facts, this is not the podcast for you! Think of it as the IT GALZ except with some twisted stories thrown in. They often travel to the hometown of these crimes and hear from friends and fans who have their own “favorite murders”. They have also visited Ireland and covered the Stoneybatter Strangler and Colin Whelen (Episode 123). These girls keep it light hearted, so if you’ve had enough of those serious case studies, give this podcast a go; trust me they’ll have you struggling to hold in your laughter on your daily commute.  

Instagram: @caoimheforan Twitter: @caoimhe_foran
 21 Campus Correspondent for HC DCU  Love interviewing empowering people to give them the love and attention they deserve!