Trends Focusing on Spring / Summer Collections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Finally, it’s time to take off the coats and embrace the spring/summer vibes. It’s never too early to start preparing and I’m going to give you a few tips on the upcoming trends and how to get your closet ready for the new season. While there was a few new styles gracing the catwalk at fashion week, there was also a few blasts from the past popping back up again such as; the 80’s shoulder which was seen on Balenciaga. It was quite boxy so we’d be more inclined to wear the more relaxed version of the 80’s shoulder showcased by Chanel. Long sleeves whether ruffled, cropped, bunched or oversized are all in this season. Try stepping out of your comfort zone and modernize these old-school trends.  

PINK ON PINK! Surprisingly I’m super excited about pink being the colour for this season, it looked fantastic on catwalks such as Valentino and Topshop Unique. You can layer your pinks or mix different shades together. Go wild! You can’t go wrong this season as long as its PINK PINK PINK!! Sheer, Bralettes and Slogan tees are the running trends of spring/summer. Whether you’re rocking see-through trousers, floral bralettes or slogan tees of the feminist variety as shown at Christian Dior, you can spice up your wardrobe with these simple yet sassy statements. 

One of my favourite trends for this season is stripes! Thick stripes, thin stripes, stripes on shirts, dresses, pants and shoes, anything you can imagin,e provided it’s stripy, you can pull off this season. White dresses flooded the catwalks at fashion week and it’s the perfect outfit to wear for almost any occasion.  Whether you’re strolling down the beach in a flowy white dress or turning up to a party in an elegant white bodycon, white dresses are going to dominate this summer. Even white shirt dresses would be easy to throw on for a daily outing with friends or family. 

There is a lot of amazing trends running this season and I’m so excited to get started with mixing them all together. They’re very simple and you can form some nice basic outfits from them while looking stunning at the same time. I’m sure most people have some of the running trends in their closets already so this season wont dent your bank accounts. Dig out those ruffles and oversized clothes you thought you would never wear again and rock them this summer. If you’re looking to get more dressed up for an event or just a night out with the girls, then sheer and bralettes are your new best friends. Try pairing them together or mixing them up with other styles. Go crazy with pink this season, you might be a bit nervous about trying pink on pink at the start so maybe gradually add pink to your outfits or just go all in and rock it! It’s the colour of the season so who’s going to stop you from strutting your stuff in a fabulous pink outfit. Spring/summer 2017 is your season to stand out! 

Thumbnail by BCGMAGAZINE

Photo by Brooke Cagle

Currently I'm studying Communications at Dublin City University. I have a passion for fashion and when I graduate I hope to become the fashion editor of a magazine. I'm originally from California and I might move back there in the future.
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.