This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Be it with your snug beloved or ultimate best mate, we are having some serious summer blues in the early midst of the college term. With Ryanair nailing the headlines in the media with it’s horrendous cutting of flights, we have some student friendly getaway destinations in Ireland and Europe. Never fear, Ryanair are still saving the day with outrageously cheap European flights.

To get the best value on flights, I suggest shopping for the best deal at least six weeks in advance. How could we say no to a well deserved autumn break? Not too easily, but you know what they say “travel is the best type of education”.

1. Edinburgh

Average flight cost: Ryanair – €80

Edinburgh is a great medieval-soaked city to visit. When I do say soaked, the weather does mirror Ireland. The nightlife is very student friendly and each of us are bound to know someone studying in QMU. The town is divided in New Town and Old Town, however it’s rather an easy city to find your way around. Be sure to check out Mc Sorely’s which is a popular bar amongst the Irish students, and who doesn’t love an Irish bar outside Ireland? Bring some comfy shoes and check out Arthurs Seat to get a break taking view of the city. It goes without saying but you also need that classic picture outside Edinburgh castle.

2. Prague

Average flight cost: Ryanair – €100

Prague is one of the most popular destinations for the cultured. With its iconic medieval architecture, the city is one of the most picturesque you’ll find in Europe. Nicknamed ‘The City of a Hundred Spires’, it’s known for its Old Town Square filled with colourful baroque buildings, Gothic churches and famous Charles Bridge in which you can take an evening stroll across. The nightlife is everything you want it to be from wine-cellar bars, ice bars, boat party bars and of course there lies an Irish bar, ‘The Dubliner Irish Pub’.

3. Belfast

Average travel cost: Irish rail – €39.98

For starters, you cannot take a trip to Belfast without visiting the Titanic Experience museum. Belfast is one of Northern Ireland’s most interesting cities that needs seeing. The music city has a musical walk of fame that is so long there is bus tour available. The nightlife is one of the most lively with a variety of music to be offered, and same goes for bars from Victorian style to stylish cocktail bars like The Merchant Hotel. You’ll be sure to pick up some sneaky student deals too because of its student friendly atmosphere.

4. Vienna

Average flight cost: Austrian Airlines – €138

Vienna is one of the most cultural cities Europe has to offer. You could stay in Vienna for a couple of weeks and still not see all the museums, concert halls and places of tourist interest. It has something to offer all year round. Check out Austria’s highlights by bike for only a handful of  euros. The city is one of the more accessible with all the highlights in walkable distances. The Sigmund Freud Museum, the Leopold Museum, the Museum of Modern Art are just a few of Vienna’s must-sees. The nightlife seen is of the highest quality, known for its electronic music, you can boogie away in a nightclub or on a boat!

5. Amsterdam

Average flight cost: Ryanair – €81

You haven’t been to Amsterdam yet?! We all know the Netherlands capital is a hot spot amongst students and we can totally see why. The city of canals, cycles and coffee shops with exotic blends that customers smoke rather that sip. From renowned art galleries to the infamous red light district, the city really has something for everyones taste. The city’s largest park, Vondelpark, has over 10 million visitors a year. Hop on your bike and check out the cultural beating heart of Amsterdam, the Museumplien, an art lovers dream. Visit the Anne Frank House followed by the Van Goghs museum because were you even in Amsterdam if you didn’t visit either attractions?

To make the trip affordable, choose the more pocket-change friendly option. Take a pair of comfy shoes with you so you aren’t left paying for taxis, you also get to see more of your surroundings. Try make sense of any public transport available, once you get used to an underground or metro, you’re laughing! For accommodation, check out Tripadvisor for the best deals on all European city hotels. Don’t be afraid to look at Air B&B’s too because you find really central apartments at bargain prices.

Trade in those euros you spend on unnecessary jagerbombs and book yourself a weekend away!

Photo by STIL on Unsplash

Communication Studies student. 20 years of age.
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.