Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Tied and Tested: Using Sex Toys for Self-Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

When it comes to self-care, it can often go hand in hand with self-love. In spite of the lack of discussion when compared to male self-pleasure, female masturbation and pleasure are topics we thankfully have seen brought more and more into the fore-front recently.  

A recent study in the Journal of Sex Research showed that the vast majority of participants (98.9 percent of men and 85.5 percent of women) said they had masturbated before. 

These statistics are more proof of how normal and healthy is for you to know your body and learn what you like (meaning better sex with a partner, if you choose.) With that being said, the only thing left to discuss is the best way to approach it. There is no one size fits all when it comes to pleasure. 

It’s really a lot of trial and error to find what works best for you. Some women may choose to use toys to assist them in this journey of sexual self-discovery. So if you think toys might be for you, here’s a list of some highly recommended sex shops. 

1. Sex Siopa (€€) 

A personal favourite of many Irish women, compared to larger companies the personalisation, easy to navigate site, and attention to detail, really set this store apart from its competitors. Sex Siopa even has a special section entitled “toys for newbies” to take some of the intimidation away, making shopping for toys a little easier for a first timer.  

2. Love Honey (€) 

While Love Honey and other big online toy shops may feel a tad impersonal, they do have a long list of benefits. With quick delivery, 24/7 customer support, an excellent return policy and a student discount through Unidays, sites like this can be the perfect affordable and discreet option for students. 

3. Play Blue (€€) 

Another great example of an accessible online sex shop is Play Blue, and Irish-based store which offers free discreet shipping on orders over €20, a free gift when you spend over €30  and a great variety of products. 

It carries a fantastic range of products for all genders and different types of couples too, making it both inclusive and inexpensive. 

4. Basic Instincts (€€€) 

If online shopping is not for you, then don’t fret. Dublin especially has a ton of wonderful shops targeted at adult pleasure and toys. One such example being Basic Instincts fetish shop located on Eustace Street in Temple Bar. It is a little on the pricier side compared to big online stores but it has a great location, friendly atmosphere and you can find the toys in an instant, without the online wait time. While some people find shopping for their sex toys a little bit intimidating, we have to remember that when it comes to masturbation, everyone does it!  

There’s nothing to be ashamed of so hold your head up high and walk into this, or one of Dublin’s many other sex stores, with pride. The same rule applies if buying online. Own your own pleasure!