This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

It’s no secret that the makeup and beauty industry have a long way to go in terms of ensuring everything from packaging to ingredients is as sustainable, eco-friendly, and as natural as possible. It can be difficult to find a brand that ticks all of your sustainable boxes. Here are some more sustainable beauty brands you can add to your shopping list.

Tan Organic 

As us pale Irish girls know too well; fake tan is a real saviour in our beauty regime.  If your fake tan regularly, then you’re familiar with Tan Organic. They are the first and only Eco-Certified tanning brand in the world. Whether you opt for the lotion or oil version, the 84 percent aloe vera-based tan is suitable for both face and body, and it comes in a glass bottle.

It’s made entirely from natural and organic ingredients with no perfumes or nasty smells. Tan Organic is eco-certified, vegan and cruelty-free.

LUSH

LUSH is best known for producing their magical bath bombs, which should be a reason to check them out alone! Seriously, they’re luxury in just one product. As well as those, LUSH also sells body soaps, face washes, hair masks, even bubble bath wash that all smell and look amazing. The shampoo bars are also worth investing in as they make your hair smooth and last a lot longer than the typical bottle.

Everything sold in LUSH is cruelty-free and made with natural ingredients. All product packaging is made of 100% recyclable materials and entirely environmentally friendly.

Botanic

The secret to glowing skin comes down to two things – an everyday skincare routine, and products that cater to your skin type. Botanic is a UK brand that aims to do just that, by using plant extracts and natural oils in all their products. They also use lots of paper and wooden packaging where possible.

A key product from the Botanic Skincare collection is the Shine Away Ionic Clay Mask. This mask is ideal for oily skin and features willow bark extract and oceanic minerals to help draw out impurities and reduce the appearance of pores. So yes, your skin really will be glowing. 

As well as seeking out sustainable brands, there are so many ways you can be more eco-friendly without switching up your usual routine.

If you use face wipes to take off your make-up, try switching to a makeup remover cloth or reusable cotton pads. Face wipes are great at festivals or for an emergency, but they’re not so great for the environment. In fact, they can take years and years to break down.

With just one cloth, you can take off make-up with just some warm water and make sure that glitter eyeshadow really is gone. Just throw it in the wash and you’re good to go!

Look out for a recycling symbol or sustainable packaging option when buying shampoo and conditioners. Some brands might even have a refill option, where you can purchase one bottle and bring it back to the original shop to refill without buying a new bottle each time.

Buying green doesn’t always have to come with a heavy price to pay.  Most sustainable skincare and hair products are sold at a low price, and within reach of a student budget. So, you’re saving a few euros and the planet, what’s not to love!?

Aspiring writer/journalist/human from county Wexford. Lover of sports, Spotify and stupendous amounts of tea x
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!