Style > Fashion

Styling The 70’s Inspired Fur Coat

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

2024 is all about the return of bold, sartorial fashion – and we aren’t complaining about it! For a while now we have seen the 90’s style make its return to modern-day streetwear, but now we’re seeing a more daring side of fashion make its comeback. 

Call it – casually chic…the 70’s style fur coat.

Styling a coat like this may seem out of some people’s comfort zone, but believe me when I say it’s a game changer to any outfit. Agreed, a fur coat definitely screams – ‘I’m here!’…but in a chic Naomie Campbell sort of way. 

This year is crucial for modernizing this timeless 70’s favourite—with the advocacy for faux fur, making everyday statement pieces the new normal and overall embracing the appreciation for fashion and how it can make us feel. 

So… where do we start with styling this? 

Whether you want to step up your look on campus or bring your simple dress for an event to a more striking level…the fur coat is the perfect solution. 

Yes, it’s bold—but truly it’s a classic. So why not own it? 

But remember– your fashion is completely yours. There is no right or wrong way to wear a piece… but if you want some style inspiration, then here are a few pointers.

Well for starters, a fur coat is loud – so we should let it speak for itself. This is why it goes perfectly with simplicity. How many times have we all worn an all-black outfit and just felt it was well…boring? I’m sure more than we all care to admit. Well now, thanks to the resurfaced 70’s trend, we can say goodbye to a boring black fit and hello to a lá mode. If you want to try something more daring, explore what patterns or prints you feel comfortable in and see how they gel with the coat. 

But with this in mind—accessories and footwear choices go a long, long way.

What we choose to pair with our fur coat will really determine if it’s more casually toned, or not. For example, if we choose to pair our outfit with perhaps cat-eye or round-style sunglasses, it is going to elevate the look. Naturally giving it a Vouge feel. However if we instead choose to pair the look with a headband or cap, it is going to give a more effortless, streetstyle feel to the look. 

Similarly with footwear—heels, boots, flats, trainers… they all have their part in creating the kind of look you’re going for. There is nothing like a knee-high boot and fur coat duo that doesn’t say… I’m just off the runway. But if you’re looking for a more off-duty look, stick to the trainers or even UGG boots to tone the look down. 

With that in mind—don’t be intimidated by this trend, have fun exploring it and wear the coat with confidence. Isn’t that what fashion is all truly about? 

⇢Just a journalism student who likes writing all things fashion and lifestyle... 📰💌♡👠