Hawaii Girl Happy Explore Jacket Beach Adventure
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

So you’re in a foreign country and are feeling a bit peckish but don’t necessarily have the time to sit down and indulge in a three-course meal. Well luckily for you, there are plenty of exotic yet cheap street food stalls across the world that will no doubt do the job.

While many globetrotters tend to go for the popular tourist trap restaurants, challenge yourself and take to the streets if you really want to experience the local cuisine your city has to offer! Here are a few places to get you started:

Colombia and Venezuela

If you ever find yourself roaming these beautifully cultured streets, you absolutely must try Arepas, a staple in the Columbian and Venezuelan diets. Made with maize dough, these soft yet thick patties can be served with cheese, various meats or avocado. They can also be split to make sandwiches! Sounds heavenly.

Philippines

Not only is the Philippines known for their breath-taking beaches but also their unique cuisine, such as a Bananacue! These babies are deep-fried bananas (Saba bananas to be specific) topped and coated with caramelised brown sugar. Skew them on a bamboo stick and you’re good to go and explore the beautiful streets of the Philippines.

Germany

One simply cannot go to Germany without trying one of their famous Bratwursts. No matter what street you find yourself on, you can find these delicious hot dogs in any city or town! The most convenient, street-friendly way to eat them is with a white bread roll topped off with some ketchup and mustard. Made from pork and veal, mixed with spices such as ginger, coriander and nutmeg, this is sure to blow away your taste buds.

France

Indulge yourself with a dreamy French crepe when in the city of love, made with all kinds of fillings and can also be served two ways, sweet or savoury. Sweet crepes can be made with chocolate, fruit cream or syrup. Whereas the savoury type can include fillings such as meats, mushrooms, cheese, eggs and even ratatouille!

Italy

Give in to your sweet tooth and treat yourself to some Italian ice cream, made with milk, sugar and cream, flavoured with nuts and fruit. To top it all off,  gelato is also lower in fat than any other style of frozen desserts. Bonus point! As it generally contains less air and more flavouring than other desserts, it gives that richness that distinguishes it from other ice creams.

Canada

Originating in Quebec, poutine is a classic Canadian street food and an insanely tasty one. It’s basically French fries topped with gravy and cheese curds. Drool-worthy I know. It can now be found in all the major fast-food chains however, you won’t get one as near as good as you would when wandering the streets of Canada.

There are so many different street foods out there, in every country, region and city. Now go forth and experience these delicious foods for yourself!

You are capable of amazing things ✨
Campus Correspondent for HC DCU. Just a Dublin girl with a passion for writing, books, sport and bad teen tv shows.