Style

Spring Summer Trends to take with you into Autumn Winter. 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

So, we’re well and truly in the midst of Autumn/Winter 2018 now, and you know what that means? An entire new wardrobe to catch up on all of the latest fashion trends this season, you ask? Well, if you have that money, by all means, go for it. However, speaking as a student, I personally don’t. Being in college teaches you that you can’t just spend all of your life’s earnings on clothes. I can currently hear my friends calling me a hypocrite in the distance right now. Everyone has to learn how to shop smart. Buy clothes that you know you can wear all year around, or incorporate them in to different types of outfits. Using inspiration from Spring/Summer 2018 and Autumn/Winter 2018, I’m going to show you certain pieces that can belong in the middle of that Venn Diagram, while keeping you looking trendy. 

LEATHER JACKET:  

I truly believe that investing in a good coat or jacket can get you through absolutely anything. A classic, timeless piece such as a leather biker jacket jazzes up any outfit, regardless of what’s being worn underneath. Leather jackets are completely timeless and they’re always seen on the runway, no matter what time of the year it is. Wear it over a casual shift dress in Spring, or add tights, a scarf and over the knee boots or leather Chelsea boots in Winter. 

CO- ORD SETS:  

When it comes to shopping smart and investing in a good outfit for all year round, co-ord sets are the way to go. They showed up in Spring/Summer as denim, and the transition into Autumn/Winter has led to denim and cord co-ord sets. They’re making a prominent mark on the fashion scene. I think we’ve all seen them in Topshop, and at every single festival this year. However; think of what else you can do with an outfit like that, especially for Autumn/Winter. You can layer a wooly jumper under the denim jacket and wear it with the skirt and boots. You can just wear one piece from the co-ord and the other another day and that’s at least two whole new outfits.  

CIGARETTE TROUSERS:  

These are a personal favourite of mine. Cigarette trousers have a very flattering shape on almost any size. They’re just slightly cropped and can be dressed up or down, with a jumper or a shirt, or both if you’re feeling chilly this winter. They just add a little extra style to your outfit and it looks like you’ve made a little more effort. 

CHUNKY and BAGGY: 

Chunky is in this year. Chunky heels, chunky belts, chunky trainers. Boyfriend jeans, oversized jumpers and vintage jackets. We want you SWIMMING in your clothes in 2018. All of these trends have transitioned into Autumn/Winter too, and let’s be honest, who doesn’t want to be comfortable and warm, while simultaneously looking on trend?  

I’m studying media and politics in DCU. Deputy Events for HerCampus DCU!
 21 Campus Correspondent for HC DCU  Love interviewing empowering people to give them the love and attention they deserve!