This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Slugging – What is it? 

Slugging is Korean skincare technique, recently made popular by TikTok. Although the concept of ‘slugging’ had been around for a while, it has always had a trendy name.

Slugging basically involves locking in the skin’s moisture overnight using an occlusive agent often petroleum jelly (Vaseline). 

Why bother? 

I do not know about you, but I have spent more money than I would like to admit on skincare i rith an pandéim. (during the pandemic).

I have tried everything from the classic skincare brands to the rising revolutionary products and still dry skin, hormonal spots and under eye bags continue to persist. 

So, I figured, if something as simple as Vaseline is really the be-all and end-all that some claim it to be- then I needed to try it out for myself. 

How does it work? 

Dermatologist Dr. Shari Marchbein tells Teen Vogue, it is recommended for healing dryness, eczema and trapping moisture in your skin. 

However, it comes with a warning. If you have oily skin this is an absolute no-go, even at that, if you are considering trying this a pea-sized amount is recommended to cover your whole face. 

The results. 

For context, I never really suffered with acne or skin problems, apart from the occasional spot UNTIL the pandemic hit. Suddenly stress, hormones and being stuck inside an t-ám ar fad (all the time), was too much for my skin to handle. Cuet the spots, dryness, oiliness, puffiness, and redness. 

Like any Gen Z who can no longer spend their money on wild nights out, I finally gave into the powers of the media and convinced myself that spending my hard-earned money on skincare was worth it (spoiler alert; it was not), and my skin ended up worse than it was before. 

Everyday, for two weeks, after I washed and moisturised my face, I ‘locked in’ the moisture with a very thin layer of Vaseline. However, I avoided my forehead as this area is prone to oiliness. 

Ceapaim go bhfuil (I think that) the biggest difference is in how my skin feels. Soft, smooth, moisturised, and healthy. I no longer woke up with my skin ‘as dry as a cornflake’ and my mother would say. 

As this worked out so well, I decided to try slugging other parts of my body such as the backs of my knees and inside of my elbow. As someone who has always struggled with eczema and dry skin, I can safely say that this process works. 

I will keep slugging the drier parts of my face and body and would anyone who suffers with dry skin to do the same. 

However, PROCEED WITH CAUTION, if you have oily skin, I am sorry, but this is not the life hack for you.  And even if you do, remember, a pea-sized amount will do your whole face!

Meadhbh is currently studying to become a primary school teacher in DCU. She's started her first year of university online during the pandemic. Before attending DCU, Meadhbh studied Dance at Inchicore College of Future Education and now holds a Level 5 QQI in Dance. She is a part-time dance teacher and full-time dance enthusiast. Meadhbh is very excited to be writing for HerCampusDCU this year!
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!