Life > Experiences

A Single Gal’s Guide to Valentines Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Knowing what to do on Valentine’s Day if you’re single can be a tricky one, but believe it or not there are fun things for singles to do on Valentine’s Day, you just need to round up your single girlfriends and reject the Valentine’s Day stereotype.  

We say to hell with feeling crappy about being single this Valentine’s Day and let’s make this February 14th all about the girls! Yes, Galentine’s Day we’re talking about you, because who says you can’t celebrate Valentine’s Day if you’re single? We say you certainly can and to celebrate girl power, we’ve come up with the ultimate Galentine’s Day guide to help you celebrate Valentine’s Day in the best ways with your single gals! We’re talking Zac Efron movie marathons, lots of (wine-induced) giggles, lots of swiping right and certainly no tears about being single. Embrace being single and have some fun with the girls. 

1. Host a night in 

Round up the single girls in the squad, invite them over to your house and host a singles night in. We’re talking junk food, face masks, a takeaway and a bottle or three of wine. Spending Valentine’s night in with your besties will leave you feeling all warm inside, so spread the love in the nicest way possible. No single Valentine’s loneliness necessary!    

1. Treat yourselves! 

Take the money you would have wasted on a Valentine’s Day gift for him and spend it on yourself instead! Grab a few of your single besties, head to a shopping centre and treat yourselves to a new wardrobe. There’s no better feeling than coming home with bags full of shopping, so make an evening of it and have a good ol‘ girly shopping session.  

1. Girls Night Out 

What’s better than a girls night in? A girls night out of course! Get all glammed up with your besties, have some pre-drinks round your house and head out for a night full of dancing (and flirting) this Valentine’s Day. The bars and clubs will be full of singletons with no cringy couples in sight, so relish in your singledom and dance the night away. 

1.  Do a Secret Santa-like Valentine exchange with your other single friends. 

Always wanted to receive a bunch of red roses on Valentine’s Day? Newsflash: you don’t have to rely on a guy to buy you flowers ladies! Round up your single friends, put everyone’s name into a hat and have flowers delivered to you, your favourite chocolates bought or a Lifesize cardboard cutout of Zac Efron delivered to your door…we’re not fussy!  

1. Did somebody say karaoke? 

What’s better than a girls night out? Karaoke of course! Round the single girls up and head to one of Dublins many karaoke bars this Valentine’s Day and sing your hearts out to your favourite ballads. We promise the only tears that will be rolling down your face this Valentine’s Day will be tears of laughter.  

1. Take advantage of the couples deals and fake it till you make it 

Why should only couples get to take advantage of the Valentine’s deals out there? Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to bag yourself a bargain, so grab your bestie and take advantage of the half price massages, discounted dinners for two and spa days this Valentine’s Day.  

Eimear is currently a Humanities Student in DCU, studying Music and Irish. You can usually find Eimear either binge-watching Gilmore Girls oe Ru-Pauls Drag Race. And if not..jamming out and fangirling over Musical Theatre. Eimear can be found daily sitting in the SU Offices on St.Patricks Campus or in Java drowning in coffee. Eimear mainly writes in the area of Relationships, Music and being ginger. Happy Reading xo