This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Demi Lovato’s new documentary airing on YouTube this month entitled ‘Simply Complicated,’ reveals how Demi’s struggles with drugs and alcohol and the pressure she put on herself growing up in the Disney World. 

In the documentary, Demi discusses being bullied in her early years and her father’s alcohol and drug abuse. Her sister and mother also took part in the documentary and knew Demi had this special talent, which was her voice. 

Demi goes on to admit that she first tired coke while working on the Disney channel. She felt she was ‘out of control with the coke’ but wanted to see what her father found in drinks and alcohol that made him so happy.  

She discusses that her big break came when she starred in Camp Rock but also where things started to get a little out of hand. Friends and family revealed she always had this ‘naturally edge’. With this big breakthrough, these unrealistic expectations were put on Demi when she was just 15 years old. When the fame did start to creep in Demi felt pressures from all angles of life.  Demi felt the pressure of having to look a certain way and the pressure to succeed in the entertainment industry. Demi admits to nearly overdosing on serval occasions. This all related to how Demi felt the entertainment business required a lot from a person so young. 

Demi also reveals her six-year relationship with Wilmer Valderrama and what it was like dating in the public eye and having to cope with the breakup in the eyes of the media watching their every move. 

The pressures of the media and the entertainment eventually got worse for Demi as she began to develop an eating disorder and depression. She felt she could overcome the drugs and alcohol but the eating disorder will always be a battle for her. She notes, most of her struggles with food re-emerged when her relationship with Wilmer ended.  

Demi thanked fans as she said she would not be here today if it were not for them. Demi’s music helps her cope with her struggles and in the land of showbiz women are always shamed for being rather ‘too skinny or too fat’. Being judged on their every move and sometimes the media forget they are just normal people. Demi is now learning to be a voice, not an echo and learning how you have to tell the truth in order to be happy. 

In this documentary, it reveals the truth behind what goes on behind the closed doors of the celebrity world. This documentary has also received praise from Selena Gomez and how she supports Demi and wishes more people were like her in the world. 

Although she has had a rocky past, she wants to help others with their struggles. The documentary is just over an hour and 20 mins but is certainly worth the watch and Demi’s message is whatever you’re fighting, you can and you will overcome it. 

Photo by Eric Nopanen on Unsplash

Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.