Should We Cancel ‘Cancel Culture?’ Or Just Cancel Kravis?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

For those who are unsure, Cancel Culture is defined as is a modern form of ostracism in which someone is thrust out of social or professional circles – whether it be online, on social media, or in person. 

Essentially, an influencer, celebrity or someone in power can be ‘cancelled’ if they do something that is generally viewed as not right, unfair, rude, illegal, upsetting or discriminatory to a particular group of people. 

The list of people who have been cancelled is ENDLESS. James Charles, Liam Nesson, The Kardashians – all of them, multiple times, Lea Michelle and Ellen Degrenerees. 

However, the question remains… Is cancel culture really fair? 

In my humble opinion… we are all only human. Although some things are unforgivable and fundamentally wrong, most people are inherently good and will at some point in their lives make some mistakes. 

I, for one, have made many a mistake, said some things I wish I hadn’t, or have done something I regretted. I would hate to think my friends, family, colleagues and classmates would judge me simply off these actions. 

I think a much better judge of someone’s character is how they respond to this criticism. If, after being called -out, they refuse to accept responsibility and ownership for their actions and continue to hurt and offend people, then yes, by all means, they deserve to be cancelled. Or… Do they listen, take it on board, learn from it and strive to do better? I think if it’s the latter, then they deserve a second chance, as we all have at some point in our lives. 

HOWEVER, perhaps there are some celebrities that veer into the danger – territory and come very close to stepping over the line of being ‘cancelled’ without actually going the full way. 

Two of these celebs are the recently engaged Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Baker. The pair began their relationship at the beginning of 2021 and the whole world has been the third member in their relationship ever since. 

They have been travelling the world together while posting sexy snaps to Instagram. However, some people are now suggesting that this excessive PDA may be a reason to cancel the couple permanently. 

I will admit – it’s a lot. Especially since both parties have children old enough to be using social media and seeing wayyyyyyyyyy too much, more than any child should ever see. They really do show it all – tongues, bums, kisses, sucking thumbs, there’s really nothing they feel should be kept private.

And possibly more disturbing is the fact that most of these pictures include other people in the background. It’s one thing to post a picture of you kissing your boyfriend, but it’s another thing when he grabs your boob and feels you up in front of your whole family at your mother’s birthday party, and a video of this ends up on social media.

So… should they be cancelled? Or called-out? Or maybe they’re both just so rich and loved-up that they really don’t care what anyone else thinks. 

My advice? Just unfollow and go about your day, blissfully Kravis free!

Meadhbh is currently studying to become a primary school teacher in DCU. She's started her first year of university online during the pandemic. Before attending DCU, Meadhbh studied Dance at Inchicore College of Future Education and now holds a Level 5 QQI in Dance. She is a part-time dance teacher and full-time dance enthusiast. Meadhbh is very excited to be writing for HerCampusDCU this year!