samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

#ShanowenShakedown: Pricing students out of education?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

DCU students held a protest on Thursday in due to anger over increases in off-campus accommodation for the next academic year 2018/19.  

Earlier in the week Shanowen Square and Shanowen Halls announced an increase to €9000 per year for their rooms, which, according to DCU Student’s Union, is a 27% increase from this year, which means that student’s will be paying approximately €235 a week. Last week’s protest followed on online petition which gained 10,000 signatures. The petition called for The Minister of Education, Richard Bruton TD and the Minister for Housing Eoghan Murphy TD to “work with Universities and their Unions to create dabble accommodation and to stop landlords from exploiting legal loopholes allowing them to charge whatever they wish to students.” As of Monday 2nd April, the petition has gained over 17,000 signatures. 

In an open letter to all off-campus private accommodation services (including Gateway Student Accommodation, Shanowen Square and Shanowen Halls), DCU Student’s Union expressed their anger at the announcement: 

“DCU Student’s Union would like to convey our anger and frustration at the recent increase in accommodation prices, most notably Shanowen Square, Shanowen Halls and Gateway Student Village.”  

The open letter went on to explain, “This is not only completely unwarranted, it will an excess of undue stress and pressure on students already struggling to survive.” 

DCU student and Shanowen Square resident Kerry Mahony talked about her feelings towards the price increase: 

“When I received the email with Shanowen’s 2018/2019 prices I was astounded. From what I understand they have no plans to renovate the apartments, so it’s just pure greed.” 

“I’m still outraged at the fact that the management has refused to comment at all – they have seemingly no care for the huge financial pressure they will put on students.” 

“The apartments are substandard, they impose a ridiculous number of fines, and the management are hugely uncooperative. Not worth it.” 

Adam Lynch, another DCU student also talked about the financial strain that accommodation imposes on students: 

“It is terrifying that working nearly 30 hours a week plus assistance could not pay nine month’s rents in Shanowen under their new rates. 

“I don’t know what I’m going to do next year. If I commute I would miss out on so many crucial aspects of college life and it would hinder my studies. Houses are in short supply and I cannot afford private student accommodation any more. 

“I am angry that this is the reality for so many of us. I have learned the hard way that the stress of college does not end when you get your Leaving Cert results. These rent increases are pure greed and shouldn’t be allowed. It is insulting to expect us to pay €9000 for sub-standard accommodation.  

“We need legislation to prevent this from happening again. Money hungry landlords should not be able to exploit us like this anymore. We want answers.” 

Independent politician Mattie McGrath raised the issue in the Dáil last week, urging the government to “regulate this sector and cap rent increases. €9000 for nine months accommodation is totally unachievable for anyone, particularly students.” 

Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.