This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

With the holiday season around the corner, it can be difficult to think of what gifts to buy for those we care about. It’s ideal to think of something that shows we care. Buying a sex toy for your s/o or bestie may not be what first comes to mind, but what better way is there to show someone you care than making a purchase that can benefit their sexual wellbeing?  

One of the most essential things to consider when purchasing a sex toy is ensuring that the toy is body-safe. This means that the materials used in the product are non-toxic and safe for internal use. There is a major lack of regulation on the manufacturing of sex toys, so many may appear harmless but can be made with unsafe materials (more info on this below!). Look out for brands and stores which have a good reputation and include information about what the product is made from.  

Sex toys come in a variety of shapes, sizes, materials, and price points. This can make the buying process a bit overwhelming. If you’re buying for a friend who you know is new to using toys, it’s probably wise to opt for a ‘beginners’ toy so that they can learn what works for them, before further investing in sex toys. If you know your bestie already uses sex toys but is interested in trying out more, you could perhaps opt for something a bit more unique. For a partner, you could shop for a toy that you could enjoy using together (win-win!), or one which creates the type of stimulation that you know your partner enjoys. You could have a conversation to see what may interest them, perhaps they might want to try something new, and let that inspire you when shopping. 

If you’re buying for the eco-conscious person in your life, there are many sex toys now which are being made with biodegradable materials (we all should be eco-conscious of course but it’s extra thoughtful if you know the person will appreciate it!). Another thing to consider is the way in which the toy is powered – some require batteries and others are rechargeable, with the latter generally being more popular as it’s easier to run. But of course, you need to weigh it up with other aspects of what you are looking for and what your budget is. Another great way to make your purchases environmentally friendly is to shop local if possible. 

A great, Irish run, small business I would recommend if you are looking to buy a sex toy, is sexsiopa.ie (siopa meaning ‘shop’ in Irish). It’s an amazing website for both those familiar with toys and newbies. There is a huge range of products, all of which are body-safe and of high quality, and they stock toys ranging in price from €24 to over €200. This may seem expensive at first, but generally, if a sex toy is lower than the lowest costing toys here, you are compromising on quality and safety. There are different sections within the website to help you navigate what you’re looking for, including: ‘body-safe bargains under €40’, if you’re looking for an affordable gift, ‘toys for couples’, if you’re buying to use with a partner, ‘toys for newbies’ if your bestie or s/o is new to using toys, as well as a ‘ bestsellers’ section so you can find out what’s the most popular if you’re not sure what are the most popular toys. There is also a holiday gifts section at the moment!  

Sexsiopa.ie also stocks body safe lubricants (yes, unfortunately, lubricants can also include harmful ingredients!) which can be a great addition when gifting someone a sex toy. When reading the description of the toy, be sure to check out if there are recommendations about what lubricants would go well with that toy if you’re not sure where to start. Some lubricants (mainly oil-based, but check the description on the product!) are unsafe to use with condoms and can make them weaker and more likely to break. All products from this website are shipped in discreet packaging that won’t have the shop name on the outside. If you want to learn more about what body-safe means, this store has a great page with information explaining it in further detail: https://sexsiopa.ie/pages/body-safe-toys  

I hope this has taken some of the confusion out of buying sex toys for your s/o or besties. If they’re new to using toys, you really can’t go wrong if you opt for toys that are recommended for newbies, or some bestsellers. If what you get isn’t their vibe, they will still be more knowledgeable going forward about what they think they’d enjoy if they were investing in another toy, which is a fantastic thing to contribute towards. Sexuality is an exciting thing to explore – it’s not always straightforward, but that’s what keeps it interesting! 

I am a final year MA in Political Communication student, with a background in social sciences and sexual health education. I enjoy writing about sexual wellness and education in general, but particularly content that is helpful for people who experience chronic pelvic pain conditions.