This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Day 1: so.. I had  my alarm set for 7:30 but ended up rolling out of bed at 8… (as per) 

To start I opted for something that I knew I would enjoy and would feel good yet wouldn’t be too taxing and hence I would actually do it. So I did a 23 minutes hips and lower back video. It was perfect first thing in the morning – deep neck stretching and hip openers. There were also a few things I took with it into the day …. Firstly, I need to breathe more, and secondly, I’m the expert in my body and I know what feels/ is the best for it. That was a really powerful way to start my morning.

Day 2: Today, I was actually really looking forward to my morning yoga session. I opted for something with a little more movement this morning. A balanced brain and body practice. I felt like I really needed that throughout my day, a reminder to focus on breathing and centring myself. Roll on day three!! 

Day 3: This day started a lil’ slow (it was Monday, kay!) so I decided to do my practice in the evening instead. This was actually a lovely chilled way to end my day and rest my body and my mind before bed. 

Day 4: After a good night’s sleep, I had a bit more energy today so morning practice it was. I decided to challenge myself with a slightly longer and more intense practice. I definitely reaped the rewards of this and my day was off to a great start! 

Day 5: After challenging myself yesterday, I decided to do the same again today. However, my energy just wasn’t the same. I realised that if you’re not listening to your body and honouring your energy in the moment, then in fact you’re not doing it right. This was an important lesson for me as a chronic perfectionist – and maybe something I could take with me off the yoga mat.. 

Day 6: second last day! Today was a busy day so I opted for a chilled evening session. I have found myself craving my time on the mat. Time for peace. Time for stillness. Time for me. 

Day 7: I can’t believe I actually made it! I really enjoyed the last seven days and having to hold myself accountable to get on the mat. Today my practice was a mid-day option. It was a long practice with a mix of high intensity and deep stretching. A perfect way to end this challenge. 

Some things I think I’ll take away… 

1. Patience, my friend. We have to be patient with ourselves and kind to ourselves above all else. 
  2. My energy changes from day to day. I should honour that and understand that every day is different, instead of beating myself up and comparing myself to the day before. 
  3. Girl, breathe. Wow, I never realised how little time I spent focusing on breath, considering it is literally my life force. I need to breathe more. 
  4. Grounding and lifting up. Throughout my day, I found myself being reminded to think about keeping my feet on the floor and my chest to the sky. Connecting down and connecting up, energy flowing through me. 

So… overall…. there was a lot that I gained from this experience and so much that I can take with me off the mat. I would definitely recommend that you give this a go, you never know what you might find!

Meadhbh is currently studying to become a primary school teacher in DCU. She's started her first year of university online during the pandemic. Before attending DCU, Meadhbh studied Dance at Inchicore College of Future Education and now holds a Level 5 QQI in Dance. She is a part-time dance teacher and full-time dance enthusiast. Meadhbh is very excited to be writing for HerCampusDCU this year!