The savvy student shopper’s guide to the most popular online shops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you spend far too much money and time (that you don’t have) on online shopping. I can turn on my laptop to check my e-mails and end up on the 40th page of the “party dress” section on missguided. One of my favourite hobbies is putting all the things I want from an online shop into the basket just to see how much it would all cost, and then crying because I just don’t have €3,972 to spend on clothes. The upside to being a student is that the majority of shops offer us a student discount, the downside to being a student is that you still have to spend money to use it and you’re broke 98% of the time! But for when you have a few extra euros to spend, I’ve laid out pro’s and con’s lists from some of my favourite online shops below.

Missguided:

:) There is always a student discount code available through UniDays, usually worth between 20-30%. Seriously, I don’t think I’ve ever paid full price for anything on Missguided.

:) They occasionally do crazy flash sales offering 50% off everything on their site. You can find some amazing things for a fraction of the cost they usually would be. 50% off means you can buy double, right?

:) Offer plus-size, petite, tall and all sizes in between.

:) They always have a huge sale section on their site regardless, you can find everything from basic, plain tops to going-out dresses in this section.

:) They always have on-trend styles available and the quality is very reliable.

:) 48-hour standard delivery is only €1, and next-day delivery is usually only €3.

:( On 50% off flash sale days, the site gets so busy that you must be placed in a queue to access the site. Oh, and good luck finding jeans in your size.

:( Discount codes do not apply to clothes that are already reduced in the sale section.

Pretty Little Thing:

:) Offer a year-round student discount usually ranging between 15-30%.

:) The discount can be applied to items which are already reduced in the sale section.

:) Clothing is already generally very reasonably priced, pretty little thing is the perfect place to stock up on cheap going-out tops.

:) Offer a large and very reasonable beauty section.

:) Standard delivery is only €1.99.

:( Next-day delivery is €6.00.

:( Don’t offer a set petite or plus-size range of clothing.

:( Pretty little thing generally receives mixed reviews when it comes to quality of the clothes on their site.

Forever 21:

:) You can literally find clothes to suit anyone on Forever 21, they offer a huge range of styles that are generally up-to-date.

:) Usually have a decent sale section and occasionally do up to 50% off offers.

:) Clothes tend have a very reasonable base price and run true to size.

:) Don’t offer a particular petite range of clothing, but do have small sizes available in all clothes. Also offer a plus-size range.

:) Forever 21 have a huge accessories section with literally anything you can imagine.

:) Delivery is free if you collect your order in-store.

:) The student discount sometimes applies to already reduced items.

:( Standard home delivery is a questionable €6.00.

:( Don’t offer a set tall range size of clothing.

:( Forever 21 only offer a mere 10% student discount.

:( In forever 21 it’s far too easy to pick up a top thinking it’s cute, only to see it’s ruined by a slogan like “TACO xD”.

Bershka:

:) Clothing is offered at very cheap base prices.

:)  Regularly offer discounts, particularly to customers who sign up to their newsletter.

:)  They regularly update their stock and tend to have on-trend styles.

:)  They offer particularly inexpensive going-out clothes.

:)  In-store delivery is completely free.

:)  Their shoe section is excellent.

:( Sizing is questionable, with many customers complaining that it runs very small. Many would recommend sizing-up.

:( Home delivery is a whopping €7.95.

:( Do not have a set petite, tall or plus-size section.

:( They do not offer a set student discount.

Pull & Bear:

:) Offered base prices are cheap to begin with.

:) Their swimwear and graphic t-shirt ranges are amazing and they do the best cosy sweatshirts and hoodies.

:) The clothes run true to size.

:) Offer regular discounts and have a good sale section.

:) Pull & Bear is ideal for everyday clothes.

:) In-store delivery is free and home delivery is €3.95.

:( They only offer a 10% student discount.

:( Don’t have a set petite, plus size or tall section.

:( It’s often difficult to find your desired size in certain clothes, particularly in jeans and tops.

New Look:

:)  Usually offer a 20% discount to students.

:) They offer an absolutely huge range of clothes, you can find something to suit everyone.

:)  Offer tall, petite and plus-size ranges of clothing.

:) Their shoe game is on-point, and they even offer a ‘wide-fit’ sizing option in shoes.

:) New Look offer great wardrobe basics.

:) Their sale section is huge and available year-round.

:( Standard delivery is €5.99.

:( Clothes aren’t always as up-to-date as a customer would want them to be.

Asos:

:) They stock So. Many. Brands. You can literally find everything from basics to ball gowns on Asos.

:) Offer petite, plus-size and tall ranges of clothing.

:) They have a huge amount of stock, meaning the price range varies and there’s something to suit every shopper’s budget.

:) They stock other brands which means if something is sold out on the brand site, it may still be available on Asos.

:) They have a great year-round sale section which offers up to 60% off.

:) They also have a marketplace which you can find vintage and customised pieces in.

:( Only 10% is offered as a discount to students.

:( There’s so much stock that you can find yourself scrolling for hours and end up with 105 tabs open with none of them being the item you originally went browsing for.

As an experienced online shopper, I hope this helps with navigating the vast world of online shops. Happy shopping!

Thumbnail by freestocks.org

DCU campus correspondent 2018/19. Third-year media studies and politics student in DCU. From the beautiful city of Kilkenny. Opinionated about social issues. Enjoys writing a cheeky article here and there. Loves everything to do with queer culture and is obsessed with drag. Works part-time as a receptionist and one day hopes to work for an online media publication. Loves Her Campus and all it stands for.
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.