ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

We all have a loved one or friend who is sports obsessed. The big question is what do we get these creatures for Christmas? 

A very safe bet is the sport biography book. There are biographies and auto biographies for sports fans out there across a range of sports. If I were to give some recommendations of a general sports book, which had enough human-interest value to keep anyone interested regardless if they watch the sportsperson’s sport or not, it would have to be Cora Staunton’s autobiography ‘Game Changer’. 

Staunton’s book is the first autobiography from an Irish female athlete. If her impressive career of joining the Mayo senior team at thirteen and winning ten All-Irelands between club (six) and County (four) wasn’t enough then her personal story will surely help. Staunton’s maturity on the field was matched by that off the field as she dealt with her mother’s young passing. Her tale, a tale of undeniably the most prolific Gaelic footballer in the modern era will be mouth watering to any sports fan. 

But, if you’re not a book worm, team merchandise is always warmly welcomed by all sports enthusiasts. Find out the sport and team of choice of the receiver. Depending on your budget, a jersey, hat and scarf, or a full tracksuit is sure to warm the winter heartstrings of any sports fan. Other commodities like cups and nightgowns also make great quirky secret Santa gifts. 

Perhaps you are getting a present for an active sport player. In this instance, equipment or gear would be a good shout. If they are a soccer or Gaelic football lover, then the respective balls are always well received (especially when their gardens are full or whitethorn bushes). Always stick to universal gifts here. Sports balls whether they be basketballs, sliotars, tennis balls, will all generally be the same size. Don’t go for football boots or personalised gear unless the receiver is with you, or unless you are psychic.  

The sports movie or sports documentary are an often less thought of sports gift. Perhaps you know a big Limerick or Dublin supporter. Allow them to revel in the success of 2018 by buying them a copy of ‘Liam 2018’or its’ equivalent for any other successful sports team like the Ireland rugby team. Or, if DVDs aren’t your style, perhaps a subscription to Sky sports would be a tasty call for the sports fanatic in your life. 

Finally, the most coveted gift for a sports fan of all. Purely depending on whether you can get them or not. Tickets to see their team play. This is a lovely present and may or may not be feasible/affordable depending on the person’s team of choice. It may be tricky to get tickets to see Manchester United play in Old Trafford, without mentioning the flight, but, if you’re lucky, most GAA tickets are fifteen euro or a fiver if you can play the under-sixteen card. A league match against your team and theirs would make for a fun and banter filled day out. And tickets are a nice stocking filler too.  

Deputy Sports Editor @thecollegeview Freelance sports journalist
 21 Campus Correspondent for HC DCU  Love interviewing empowering people to give them the love and attention they deserve!