Culture > News

Rex Orange County: Musician Denies Sexual Assault Allegations Following Multiple Charges

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Singer-songwriter Alex O’Conner, more commonly known as Rex Orange County, has been charged with six counts of sexual assault. The singer has denied these charges but faces trial on the 3rd of January, 2023. A further court hearing is due to occur earlier on the 24th of October. 

The news comes after O’Conner appeared in Southwark Crown Court in London on the 10th of October. He was released on unconditional bail. The 24-year-old has been accused of assaulting a woman twice on June 1 in London’s West End and four times the following day, including once in a taxi and three times in his Notting Hill residence. 

O’Connor’s representative has stated that: “Alex is shocked by the allegations, which he denies, and looks forward to clearing his name in court. “He is unable to make any further comment because of the ongoing proceedings.” 

The artist announced that he would have to cancel the remainder of his upcoming tour dates in Australia, New Zealand and Europe in a post on social media earlier this year, stating that it was due to, “unforeseen personal circumstances”. The post continued to say he would have to “spend some time at home this year”. 

This has caused considerable uproar, with fans expressing a mixture of emotions on social media following the news. The hashtag REX ORANGE COUNTY DID WHAT was trending on Twitter. 

Under the hashtag, one user posted:

“Im still so upset about Rex Orange County. There’s so many songs that lifted me up on my worst days, so many songs associated with core memories, so many songs that just made me feel so GOOD. All for him to end up being a piece of s**t.”  

His loyal fans, many of whom have supported Rex Orange County from a young age, have cancelled him on the internet. Some state that he is innocent until proven guilty, whilst the majority support the argument that the “internet is so fucked when people label what’s happening as being “cancelled” when in reality rex orange county is facing 6 charges of SA. he is literally a criminal , he is not being cancelled” as written by another Twitter user. 

Rex Orange County is now being added to the list of “nice guys” being exposed after the recent Ned Fulmer and Adam Levine controversies. The #MeToo movement continues to be supported worldwide, encouraging women to speak up. 

Whilst Rex Orange County awaits his trial, the question begs to be asked: should we separate the art from the artists, or can we still appreciate the art knowing their alleged crimes?  

HerCampus DCU Co-Chairperson