Random Acts of Kindness that will Brighten People’s Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Most of the time, we are all pretty kind and decent people. Yet in the flurry of keeping up with our own lives and staying afloat amidst the stresses of the day, we can forget to lift our heads from time to time to see how important it is to spread kindness and compassion. 

It would not be a stretch to suggest that the past twelve months have been among the most challenging, isolating and difficult of many of our lives. Now that the glow of Christmas has well and truly burned out and we approach Blue Monday, the supposed most depressing day of the year, the world needs a little sprinkling of joy.

Here are 10 ideas for some random acts of kindness that you can today to spread and cultivate joy in the lives of your family, friends and the people around you! 

Write a letter or send a text to a person you haven’t spoken to in a while. A lot of people, particularly older people, are feeling very lonely at this time, and your words could make their day!

Give your loved ones a hug when you next see them. It may come as a surprise, but it is guaranteed to put a smile on their face. 

If you spot rubbish on the road or footpath as you pass, pick it up and put it in the bin. Being kind to our planet is as important as being kind to the people living on it, and you’ll be helping to create a happier environment for everyone. 

Loan your favourite book to a friend, with a note explaining what you loved about it and why you think they would love it too. 

Many independent coffee shops, cafés and restaurants offer ‘Pay Ahead’ services, where you can buy a drink or meal for a person who might not be able to afford one. Your change could help to warm a stranger on these cold and dark nights. 

Make a Spotify playlist for someone! If you had some spare time, why not make a playlist with all the golden oldies for your parents for them to enjoy. A customized playlist is an easy way to show someone you care about them. 

Post a nice comment under a person’s Instagram. It may mean little to you, but your kind words may give them some much needed validation and cheering up!

Been meaning to clear out your wardrobe for a while? Why don’t you donate your old clothes to charity! You’ll have more space, and your clothes will be sent off to a new home.

Make ‘em laugh! If a friend seems to be having a bad day, give them a call and crack a few jokes to instantly lighten the mood and instantly improve your friend’s day. 

Tell your friends and family that you love them. You have no idea what’s going on in somebody’s head, even those closest to you. For a few simple words, you could instantly light up their day!

There are hundreds of ways to cheer someone up, help a stranger, clean up the environment and reconnect to old friends, and most of the time it won’t take more than a minute to do so. The world would be a completely different and infinitely more positive place if we mindfully practiced daily random acts of kindness. Start today and use some of these ideas to make the world a happier place!

Economics Politics and Law student in DCU. Lover of creamy pints and wishful thinking :)
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!