This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Following Kim Kardashian’s hair transformation to bubblegum pink, there is no doubt that many of her fans will decide to make the change themselves. Despite Kim K having returned to her brunette roots recently, I have a feeling that this may be a trend that will become popular for summer 2018. This period in the year is the season for switching it up, to be bold and daring. I believe that there are many benefits that come with taking the leap of faith and dyeing one’s hair, such as: 

1.  Expressing Yourself! 

As I previously mentioned, something as simple as dyeing your hair can allow you to convey your own individual style to the world. You can coordinate it with your outfits to really coincide with your personal look. It’s eye-catching, unique and may also inspire others to also stand out from the crowd! 

2.  A Refreshing Appearance 

Sometimes we get tired of glancing in the mirror every morning and seeing the same thing over and over, and that’s perfectly ok! Switching up hair-styles is an excellent way to avoid a monotonous, everyday routine. Choose a colour that suits you yet takes you outside of your comfort zone. It’s always good to try something different, even if it doesn’t work out for you the first time! 

However, despite the many exciting attributes associated with drastic hair transformations, there are of course some negative aspects to dyeing hair a daring shade, which is why many are hesitant to undergo the change. 

3.  Are you willing to commit? 

This may sound like a relationship dilemma, but you must consider the amount of upkeep and maintenance involved with an extreme hair dye. Sooner rather than later, you’ll have to retouch your roots, either by visiting the hairdresser or DIYing it. Many people get frustrated with the effort or cannot afford to maintain their colourful locks. 

4. Damage 

Ah yes, the dreaded thought of hair damage. We have all heard the stories or seen firsthand how dyeing one’s hair can lead to dry, brittle hair or the thinning of hair. This problem can be resolved by purchasing the correct conditioners to treat your hair, which your hairdresser can recommend to you! 

By assessing these pro’s and con’s, I believe that the best idea when dyeing your hair, a bold shade is to perhaps use a wash-out dye. That way, if you are not satisfied with the way it turned out, it’s not 

permanent! You are not stuck with a look that makes you uncomfortable and wash-out dyes are not as difficult to maintain as other permanent products. If you also wish others to benefit from your new look, you could do it in aid of a charity such as “Shave or Dye”, an annual 

fundraiser set up by Today FM to raise money for cancer research. What better reason is there to take the plunge and dye your hair? It is the perfect time to test out some colours in the run-up to summer ’18, so go ahead and experiment! 

Photo by rawpixel.com on Unsplash

Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.