This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Okay, it’s time to address the topic of PDA. What is PDA you ask?  

Public Displays of Affection are pretty much anything that involves showing affection between two people. It can range from the simple holding of hands to something much more lovey-dovey, and it is most definitely NOT to everyone’s taste.  

As the New York Times put it,  

“onlookers either abhor it or adore it”.  

Personally, PDA is a massive YAY, YAY, YAY. 

Let get one thing straight, ladies and gents! It is important to realise what is classed as PDA and what is not PG. If passers-by feel the need to cover the eyes of their children, it’s probably gone passed the imaginary line of what is socially acceptable. In all honesty, there is a big difference between a cute peck on the lips and mauling someone in broad daylight in the middle of a busy town when you’re young, wild and free. There’s a difference between a cuddle and having your hands in each other’s jean pockets in Dublin city centre. There’s a difference between an affectionate embrace and plain exposure. PDA is a gesture, not a live sex show. 

I used to kind of loath PDA to be honest, because for me, subtle PDA was always something to be sought after but never achieved. I wanted to fall head over heels and have everyone in the world know how in love I was. I wanted hugs in the line in Tesco. I craved forehead kisses on the Luas from my hunky boyfriend. I dreamt of being kissed in the rain like Ezra and Aria from Pretty Little Liars, or like Sam and Austin from A Cinderella Story. I wanted all of it. I wanted the chick flick, rom-com type of show. 

Let’s face it, seeing public displays of affection makes us envious for the most part. When a couple walks by, hand in hand, giggling and having a wonderful time being in love, we all have a little green monster on our backs called jealousy. It reminds many people of the fairy tale love story that their lives are lacking, which is understandable. Maybe that’s why you mutter “get a room” under your breath when in close proximity to loved up strangers. Other people just find it straight up gross, which it can sometimes be. I found that I was more pro-PDA than ever when I could enjoy it myself. I know that sounds selfish, but it’s true. Couples are a lot cuter when you’re one of them. It’s easier to see people in love when you are too, you know? 

That being said, do we really have to have a debate about public lovin’? PDA isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, that’s obvious. But when it’s put into perspective, seeing a couple share a cheeky snog is a lot sweeter than the majority of things we see in the world today. A little bit of affection is needed. 

Leave ‘um be. Let ‘um love.  

Ruan my boat through college life
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.