This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

We are officially in February. Where is the time going? Over the past few weeks, I’ve made it my business to make a step I usually find so hard, I listened to new music. 

I’m very set in my ways when it comes to the music I like. I tend to listen to the same songs all the time and make very niche playlists with different selections of those songs. I listen to pretty much every genre, but like I said I have my select safe songs I listen to.

But with the new year putting some unbelievable pep in my step, I bit the bullet and actually looked at my Discover Weekly on Spotify. And I could not believe what I found. So, since I’m not one to gatekeep music, here are some of my favourite new artists that I’ve discovered since the start of 2022.

Toby Sebastian

Right, there’s an entire story to this. I did this challenge where I went onto a random playlist, shuffled it, and then listened to the entire song without knowing who it was by or its name. I highly recommend doing this because I found one of my favourite songs of all time. I love Toby’s music so much. I always find myself having a little bop whenever any of his songs come on and end up smiling. His voice just makes me feel warm and fuzzy which makes me feel like someone is giving me a hug and I love that for me. Also, my favourite song is absolutely perfect for dancing in the kitchen with someone special. Have to say I wouldn’t know but a girl can dream.

Favourite Song: Midnight ft. Florence Pugh

Caroline Polachek

Thank you so bloody much TikTok! This artist came up on my FYP about a million times over a three-day period. I had to know more about this artist. Her vibe, I can’t deal. Her voice is literally addictive, I must listen to her music at least 5 times a day or I start going through withdrawals. You know I love a good synth track; this woman abuses them, and I am absolutely obsessed. I can’t even describe to you how happy my favourite song by her makes me feel. You all know by now I love having a bop about the place when I listen to music and this woman’s music is no exception. And I think my favourite song is one a lot of us can relate to, so go listen!

Favourite Song: So Hot You’re Hurting My Feelings

second thoughts

Right. If you want to feel like summer is here while the rain buckets out of the heavens for hours on end, this indie band from just across the pond is for you. This band simultaneously makes me feel like I’m 14 trying to be quirky by dyeing my hair pink while also making me feel my age and making me want to get my life together. Please don’t ask me how I came to this conclusion, I don’t even know myself. Again, the vibes are immaculate. There is no way you can go wrong with an electric guitar, bass, and drums to make a good tune and the lads from second thoughts literally get it all right. So, if you’re looking for a tiny, minor, barely existent but also prevalent existential crisis of a weekday, this is for you.

Favourite Song: new zealand

Sea Girls

You might be noticing a pattern with the music I discovered recently. It makes me feel like I’m 14 again! Now you can read into that whatever way you want like you could say 14 was my glory year and I will never live a year as amazing as that one and I haven’t been happy since but that’s just one way of interpreting it, you know? But this band is just happy vibes and boppy tunes all the way. I can’t wait to pop these songs on while lounging on a beach in a hot country somewhere sunning myself without a care in the world. The songs by Sea Girls give me their run time to not worry about anything. I think I should play them 24/7 so I can finally know peace.

Favourite Song: Transplant

Parcels

This band is my FAVOURITE find of the year so far. I heard one of their songs on my Discover Weekly and then proceeded to add their entire discography to my playlist because I became so incredibly obsessed from the very first moment I heard them. When I tell you this band has RANGE, I mean it. I don’t know many bands who can write a synth ballad and then whack out a disco tune after that. Like huh? Talent, check. Lyrics, check. Vibes, immaculate. I don’t think there’s a single song of theirs that I haven’t liked. And I am a firm believer in every artist having flops, but not them. I cannot say enough about Parcels. If I said everything I wanted to, I’d end up writing a full-blown dissertation on their entire collection of music. And I’m pretty sure I know only one person who would read that. If you’re reading this, you know who you are.

Favourite Song: Reflex or Everyroad or Hideout or Famous or every single one of them I literally can’t decide someone please help before I turn into a groupie.

I hope you like at least one of these artists because I am enamoured by every single one of them. New music for 2022 was something I had absolutely no intention of discovering, me being a oul granny with my choons and that but I am so glad I took that leap. And I hope you know you can trust my music taste, it’s pretty elite if I do say so myself.

Senior Editor. Your Culture Vulture. Law and French.