This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Long detailed talon style nail extensions have grown in popularity. This form of nail art needs a clean, healthy natural nail in order to get the most out of the extension. So the question is, does this style exclude nail biters?

Dublin based nail technician Rachel Gunn gave the lowdown on how you can still have trendy nails even if your nails are damaged. “If a client came to me with really brittle nails I would definitely give nail extensions a break for a month to strengthen them back up to full health.” 

Rachel is no stranger to incredibly lengthy nail extensions and her work is displayed on her social media pages, predominantly Instagram. “I would apply a good UV strengthening treatment with some shellac on top so the treatment is still acting while they can wear shellac, and I would advise as aftercare lots and lots of cuticle oil.”

Nail-biting is a strange comfort that you can develop when stressed or nervous and can leave your nails and the surrounding skin in pretty rough shape. 

“Nail biting is definitely initially a nervous habit which can then form into more of a habit without noticing,” Rachel said. Nail biters often grow so accustomed to their habit that they don’t notice their hands reaching up to their teeth. But how much does nail biting damage your nails?

“Surprisingly enough nail biters tend to have stronger nails than someone who does not. Nail biters constantly bite pulling the nail bed downward. This makes all the keratin (protein) that comes from the cuticle area to flush down the nail, making them stronger and healthier.” This unexpected result from abusing your nails through biting is not recommended. Sure, your nails could become stronger, but that’s an accidental side effect of harvesting nerves and chomping down on your fingers.

If you’re concerned about the health of your natural nail, the best advice is given by your fully qualified nail technician, like Rachel. 

“I would recommend applying cuticle oil every night before bed & first thing in the morning to nourish the cuticle area, which is most likely bitten too. Then add some nail strengthening treatments from time to time if (you) are not coming to revive treatments in the salon.”

DCU Journalism 2020
?A Wellness Gumdrop? Helping students BREAK bad habits, SMASH goals and live their BEST LIVES through all things health, manifestation and storytelling? ?CC/Editor in Chief at Dublin City University ?Spreading those goody good vibes with you DCU Global Business Student '20 aziamto.com ig: @azia_mery linkedin.com/in/azia