This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Applying makeup is really fun for me. I love being creative with my makeup and I always feel confident whilst wearing it. Wearing makeup is for me and…it is for no one else! It is tough growing up and experimenting and knowing what products suit you. I think everyone went through the horrific days of having ‘logs’ for eyebrows. I had to watch many Zoella and Bethany Mota videos to learn how to apply blush without looking like a clown. After years of effort and makeup failures, I think I have finally mastered my very own makeup routine. Funnily enough, even though I love my makeup routine I refuse to do it anywhere except for the bus. My commute is extremely long so I feel if I wake up early to do my makeup I waste a fifteen-minute lie-in that I so desperately need. You need a lot of skill and confidence to do your makeup on the bus but it is such a game-changer, it will save you lots of time! I always have my pink makeup bag with me on the go so I can touch it up as I go about my day. Here are my top five makeup essentials that I believe you should invest in.

Benefit Pore-Fessional

I am super conscious of my pores, please don’t come looking for me for skin advice because no matter how much I invest in skincare for clearing my blackheads they don’t seem to go away. However, this product is magic! It makes me feel so much more confident in the complexion of my skin. It is so easy to apply and makes my skin feel silky-soft. You can either wear it under makeup as a brilliant primer that will keep your makeup intact all day or wear it to cover up your pores. Works well both ways. If your skin is sensitive it won’t irritate it whatsoever. This primer is a game-changer!

Clinique Airbrush Concealer

When I was younger, I had cystic acne. I never knew how to wear makeup as I was scared it would flare up a breakout or make my acne look more noticeable.  Then, my mom introduced me to this product. Wow… I got confidence that I never had before. I found a shade that suited my skin tone so it looked like I wasn’t even wearing makeup. Of course, my acne was still noticeable but the coverage was so good that people asked if my acne had gotten better and didn’t even realise I was wearing makeup. I still wear it every day to cover up the odd blemish as it is so natural and effortless. The only problem with this product is that there aren’t many shades to choose from which is a problem the brand needs to address.

Sculpted, Velvet Veil by aimee connolly

This translucent powder will do wonders for your makeup, it makes sure it stays in place all day, it goes well with any base makeup product as it is translucent and it gives your skin a lovely matte, natural finish. And finally, on another positive note, Sculpted is an Irish Brand and it is important to support Irish entrepreneurs as Aimee is a talented queen and deserves a lot of praise for her new makeup line as it is fabulous.

Flower power blush palette

I have no idea where and how I found this product but I LOVE IT. The colours are beautiful, and the palette of blushes is very easy to apply. You don’t need to use a lot of the product but at the same time, the product isn’t overpowering to apply either. The colour ‘chill out’,  is a peachy colour that goes lovely with bronzer and is great for a brown/ nude look. Wicked Colour is a bright pink that will accentuate your cheekbones and is great for a girly, pink look. And the last two colours, ‘Psychedelic’ and ‘Dyno-mite, I would wear a lot more in autumn and winter as they are darker, autumn colours. I would describe these two colours as two different shades of red and purple blended perfectly together. 

Finally, the last product, (it was very difficult to narrow it down to five), The Bad Girl…Bang Benefit Mascara

This Mascara will blacken and define each and every eyelash you have on your eyelids. The curl factor in this mascara is incredible. You can ditch the eyelash curler once you purchase this product. It is worth all the hype! Mascara, personally, is the most important product in your makeup bag as makeup looks abnormal without it so it is important to find the best mascara for you. 9/10 it is going to be this one, so what are you waiting for, buy it before you change your mind! I promise you, you won’t regret it.

Hi, my name is Laura, I am twenty years old and I am currently doing communications in DCU, Dublin, Ireland. I am so excited to be apart of HerCampus, I LOVE to write and hope you will enjoy some of the articles I write on here. I have a passion for writing about fashion, beauty, relationships and mental health so if any of those topics interest you…make sure to keep an eye on this space! Also, if you like honesty well then you have come to the right place because…oh my god… I can't keep my mouth shut but hey, that's what good writing is all about ;)