body images 2019 04 27 planet5png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 04 27 planet5png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

My Experience with Plus-Sized Clothes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Growing up, I always loved to pose in a pretty outfit. However, my big-framed body never allowed me pretty designer outfits or in trend fashion. Times were hard, especially in Asia when most of the women there are petite.

Back then (early 2000s), plus size fashion was almost non-existent. Now, we have fashion designers designing outfits that fit many different plus size shaped bodies. The introduction of plus sized models is also highly encouraged in many outlets today. Follow me as I take you through a journey of finding the perfect stores (in my opinion) for what you need right here in Ireland.

The first and probably most obvious store is H&M. From elegant to cute dresses, tops, pants, and shoes. If you seek fun and carefree-like attire, H&M Divided has you covered. The outfit I am wearing in the picture is from H&M Divided and it is the best summer casual outfit I have ever owned. Their material is of really high quality and it’s been in my wardrobe for three years now and it still feels brand new.

Member wearing pull and bear plus sized clothing
Original photo by Sathishaa Mohan

If you are looking for something a little more casual and a little cheaper in price, then Pull & Bear is the place to go. The first time I heard of Pull & Bear was through some girls who went to the same college as I did.  I never knew that outlet existed, let alone that it had my size. The sceptical me, casually walked in the store one day as I was exploring a mall and to my surprise found plenty of pretty jumpers and pants that satisfied different sizes.

The jumper in the picture is from Pull & Bear. The material is thick making it the perfect pullover to use during fall and winter. It’s hard sometimes for a plus sized person to layer up and having jumpers which are thick and a jacket or coat helps in keeping us warm and less chunky. It also allows one to wander around indoors without a jacket looking absolutely fine!

Image is of member wearing plus sized pull and bear clothes for article reviewing them
Original photo by Sathishaa Mohan

Let’s go cheaper, because the world is in an economic crisis. Where could we buy something- say for work? Or a formal wear for presentations?

I was browsing online to get a formal blazer jacket for a cheap price because living abroad has made me want to live with minimal spendings.I then came across a website named Zaful. I was sceptical of its quality and that such a store even existed at first, but- 

I received my yellow blazer with a very decent material which makes it last a long time. I have had this blazer for more than two years now and no thread is pulled, no tearing, no stretched fabric, nothing. It is absolutely perfect!

Image is of a member wearing plus sized pull and bear clothes
Original photo by Satishaa Mohan

Like Zaful, there are many other online stores like Shein, Nasty Gal, Asos, and even Amazon has a decent amount of pretty outfits for us plus sized women.

Don’t be restricted. Fashion is everywhere you’d want it to be.

A multimedia graduate, exploring the world of journalism and making new connections in every way possible.
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!