Style

Modern shapewear for the modern woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Shapewear has had a revival this year thanks to Kim Kardashian West’s innovative brand Skims. The brand offers “solution wear,” which previous brands have failed to bring to the market such as a wide range of tones to suit different races as well as one-legged shorts to suit dresses and skirts with a side slit.

West’s campaign to launch Skims featured women of all skin tones and sizes showing off the range and how it makes them feel: confident, sexy, free.

Shapewear smooths down the lumps and bumps of your body that might stop you from wearing that bodycon dress to an event. They have been a fashion staple in many women’s wardrobes for years, and the shame of wearing these garments became a thing of the past this year. 

Shapewear is no longer the ugly “granny knickers,” of the past. It comes in a range of support strengths in various styles such as high waist shorts and bodysuits. 

When they are done right, they can give an hourglass figure to the body and push you up in all the right places giving you a gorgeous silhouette when you want to look and feel your best.

West’s new release has led to a surge of influencers showing off their shapewear and letting the public know they wear it. West admitted to wearing two pairs when going out after her pregnancies to feel confident before stepping out in front of the public and paparazzi.

You can find shapewear on the shelves in budget stores such as Dunnes Stores, Penneys and Marks & Spencer’s to name a few.

Brands such as Debenhams and Ann Summers offer much sexier and lacy pieces which gives a modern and exciting edge to shapewear that you won’t mind letting your partner see.

Dunnes are a great go-to when you need some shapewear in a pinch at the low price of €10. However, the support and elasticity tend to wear off after a few wears. They are however a great brand to try if you are experimenting with shapewear and not ready to invest.

If you’re looking to splurge on a pair that will last Spanx is a brand with a great reputation that has been worn by celebrities for years. Sold in Brown Thomas, they can promise great support and longevity. The prices range from €61 to €155 but these are investment pieces that you will have for years. 

It is still too early to determine the quality and longevity of Skims but it is priced in a mid-range price point of $24 – $98, which comes in at €21 – €88. The cost of customs is also included in the price when shipping to Ireland, which is helpful. So far, the range has received glowing reviews from celebrities such as Selena Gomez and Ashley Graham for its support and comfort compared to leading brands.

The bottom line is if you haven’t tried it yet, definitely give it a go. Gone are the days of shying away from your favourite dress because you “had a big lunch,” because shapewear is definitely your friend.

?Journalism student in DCU? Chairperson of Her Campus DCU
?A Wellness Gumdrop? Helping students BREAK bad habits, SMASH goals and live their BEST LIVES through all things health, manifestation and storytelling? ?CC/Editor in Chief at Dublin City University ?Spreading those goody good vibes with you DCU Global Business Student '20 aziamto.com ig: @azia_mery linkedin.com/in/azia