Hummus
Hummus
Christin Urso / Spoon
Wellness > Health

Meals to Improve Your Immune System

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

As the Coronavirus pandemic sweeps the globe, many people are looking for ways to improve their health and build up their overall immunity to the disease. Preventative techniques such as social isolation, frequent handwashing and good hygiene are key to controlling the spread and reducing the risk of contracting Covid-19. 

Nutrition and lifestyle are paramount in building your immune system. Eating a low-fat, plant-based diet helps to give your body defence system a boost. The immune system depends on white blood cells that produce antibodies to fight viruses and bacteria. 

According to research by Weill Cornell Medical College, vegetarians have more effective white blood cells compared to meat eaters, due to a high intake of vitamins and low intake of fat. In a study by Appalachian State University, scientists showed that oil may impair white blood cell function and alter the gut microbiota that aid immunity. 

Vitamins are necessary for a healthy diet. Vitamin C and E are antioxidants that help eradicate free radicals and assist the body’s natural immune response. Beta-carotene is a powerful antioxidant that can reduce inflammation and boost immune function by increasing disease-fighting cells in the body. 

Research shows Vitamin D supplementation may reduce production of proinflammatory compounds in the body, reducing the risk of viral infections, including respiratory tract infections. 

There are so many meals and beverages to boost your immunity. Here are some that are really easy to make. 

Chicken soup 

The old wives’ tale about chicken soup is actually true. Bone broth, garlic, and veggies make this soup a soothing meal for when you’re feeling weak. Research found that particular anti-inflammatory properties and amino acids in chicken soup can help reduce symptoms of respiratory infections.  

Mushroom and Spinach Lasagne 

Not only is this a delicious meal, spinach is very rich in vitamin C. It’s packed with antioxidants and beta carotene, which may increase the fighting ability of our immune system. The mushrooms in this lasagne contain a powerful antioxidant called selenium which prevents damage to cells and tissues. 

Sausage & broccoli carbonara 

Broccoli is supercharged with vitamins and minerals. Packed with vitamins A, C, and E, as well as many other antioxidants and fibre, broccoli is one of the healthiest vegetables. Carbonara is also the perfect leftover for the days you don’t feel like cooking. 

Stuffed Peppers 

Not only is this a super easy meal to make, red bell peppers contain twice as much vitamin C as citrus. Besides boosting your immune system, vitamin C is great for maintaining healthy skin. 

Ginger, Apple and Vanilla Punch 

This is the perfect drink to refresh your taste buds and give you an energy boost. Ginger is another ingredient many turn to after getting sick. It helps decrease inflammation, which can help reduce a sore throat. Ginger may also help decrease nausea. And you know what they say…an apple a day keeps the doctor away! 

Social distancing doesn’t have to be boring or bland. Keep yourself healthy and entertained as you try out some immune system boosting recipes. 

Journalist and Fashion enthusiast
Campus Correspondent for HC DCU. Just a Dublin girl with a passion for writing, books, sport and bad teen tv shows.