This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, you might be wondering how you can make it a memorable one and spice up the night. 

Whether you have been with your special someone for weeks, months or even years, Valentine’s is the perfect time to really show them how much they mean to you. 

Daytime is easy on Valentine’s. You could go for a romantic walk and stop for a picnic in the park, have a candlelit dinner by the river, or even have an at-home movie date cuddled up on the sofa with some blankets and chocolatey treats. 

Whatever way you choose to spend the day, the night is where the fun begins. 

If it’s your first Valentine’s with a date and you’re feeling nervous on how to get down and dirty, an easy place to start is with an exciting new lube or flavoured condoms. 

Durex do a wide range of condoms and lubes that can really make your sex and even foreplay exciting. 

From adding an extra tingle where it feels good to adding some heat or some chills, there’s a lot that can be done with lube that will benefit everyone. 

You could tell your partner that as part of their gift you are going to give them a massage and purchase the Durex play massage 2 in 1 lube. 

This will be a way to incorporate the lube into the sheets if you aren’t feeling confident enough to bring it up out of the blue (and the bedroom). 

Flavoured condoms can also be a great way to incorporate something new into your sex life this Valentines. 

Again, Durex have a huge amount of fruity flavoured condoms available to purchase. 

Popular flavours include strawberry, tropical and banana. 

If you aren’t interested in mixing foodie flavours and sex, textured condoms could be a good shout either. 

Durex offers many types of condoms including ribbed or dotted to provide anyone with a vagina with some extra stimulation.

Their mutual pleasure stimulating condom has a special lube inside to help you both climax in sync. 

Lube is also a great tool to have if you want to bring some toys into bed this Valentines. 

If it’s your first time using them and you’re unsure where to start, a simple bullet vibrator can be bought almost anywhere nowadays. 

Pound shops such as Dealz are a great place to start. 

This will mostly benefit someone with a clitoris, but your partner seeing you enjoy yourself will surely turn them on that bit more too. 

If you’re experienced with simple vibrators already and you’re ready for the big guns, you could get some very fun butt plugs. 

Whether you want a tail or a diamond, Love Honey can provide it. 

As well as butt plugs, they have a huge variety of other toys such as handcuffs and blindfolds on their website too. 

Another simple yet fun way to keep things steamy is to buy some sexy lingerie. 

Lounge Underwear will leave you spoiled for choice with their four-piece sets, bodysuits and mesh underwear. 

Although it is quite pricey, buying from them would be an investment and something that could come in handy in the future. 

If all of the straps and suspenders scare you, common clothing sites such as Pretty Little Thing generally have a lingerie section for almost a fraction of the price, and their pieces are a lot less daunting but just as gorgeous.

Whether you do any of the above or do nothing at all, giving your time, attention and love to your significant other will be the best and most important gift you can ever give.

So, however you choose to spend your Valentine’s, just make sure it’s in a way that you feel safe and comfortable. 

Final-year journalism student. Kilkenny/Dublin based.