DIY hero 2?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
DIY hero 2?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Emily Veith / Amazon
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

People are being encouraged to pick up new hobbies to pass the time during the Coronavirus Pandemic. A lot of us have no choice but to stay home and even for the most enthusiastic Netflix and chill addicts, sitting down watching TV all day gets boring fast. 

Now is the perfect time to get crafty, there are loads of interesting and relaxing ways to spend the day and create something pretty along at the same time. Whether you choose to take up embroidery, knitting, crochet or resin art, there is something for everyone. 

You can’t go onto the Instagram explore page these days without seeing videos of delicate embroidery work that would inspire anyone to give the hobby a go. It appears the art of crafting has been renewed by young people and is becoming popular once more. Even TikTok is flooded with people demonstrating unusual stitches or showing off their impressive crafts.  We all know if it’s already on TikTok it must be cool. 

21-year-old Ruth Moore has rediscovered her love of embroidery now that she has to self-isolate. Ruth started embroidery when she was in her second year of secondary school because of her Home Economics projects but her love of crafting was reawakened when she got an embroidery wheel this Christmas and a few months later had to spend all her time at home. 

Ruth said, “I love it as you don’t need any skills like you do with knitting and it’s very portable.” She enjoys embroidery because there are no set rules, there is more freedom when you’re creating a piece and it can be very relaxing.  

Ruth would encourage other people to take up embroidery because of how laid back it is and how it’s very cost-friendly. An innovative way Ruth incorporates this craft into her life is by embroidering and repurposing old clothes. This is a great way to freshen up your wardrobe and give clothes, which you might have thrown out, a new lease of life. 

21-year-old Caoimhe Mackey has also rediscovered her love of crafting in the last few weeks. She has started knitting again after she found some wool and needles when she was tidying her room. 

Having knitted a lot when she was in primary school, Caoimhe easily slipped back into her old habits. She said, “I like how relaxing it is and it’s easy to do while watching telly or spending time with my family.”

Caoimhe said she would definitely recommend other people take up knitting because it’s simple once you get the hang of it and there is a great sense of achievement when you see things you have created yourself. 

Right now, Caoimhe is in the middle of making a cushion cover, she said it’s quite effortless as knitting tends to be fairly repetitive. Caoimhe said, “I think that’s what makes it so relaxing.”

Starting crafts like embroidery and knitting are simple, relaxing ways to stay creative and keep your mind stimulated while you are stuck indoors for most of the day. If you started now you could end quarantine with some cute knitted items or some fun and fresh embroidered clothes.

Just a 20 year old, journalism student doing a bit of writing Email: aoife.mcmahon45@mail.dcu.ie
?A Wellness Gumdrop? Helping students BREAK bad habits, SMASH goals and live their BEST LIVES through all things health, manifestation and storytelling? ?CC/Editor in Chief at Dublin City University ?Spreading those goody good vibes with you DCU Global Business Student '20 aziamto.com ig: @azia_mery linkedin.com/in/azia