This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Leslie Jordan, social media sweetheart and Emmy-winner actor, passed away on October 24 due to a tragic car accident.

He was most known for his performance in iconic TV shows such as American Horror Story, Call me Kat and Will and Grace.

Most recently, he also went viral on social media for posting loving quarantine videos sharing stories of his childhood and career in Hollywood. Through Instagram, Jordan inspired many by providing pop music and dance routines, gaining millions of followers in the months that passed.

In 2005, Jordan won an Emmy award for his outstanding performance in Will and Grace, where he played Beverley Leslie, a rival of one of the main characters. He participated in many different productions over the years, many of which he portrayed flamboyant characters to match his short stature.

Tributes have poured on social media following his death from the many people who worked with him over the years. Will and Grace co-star Sean Hayes said that he was “one of the funniest people I ever had the pleasure of working with”. On Twitter, Star Trek star George Takei posted “Leslie, we are heartbroken at your loss and will miss your mirth and your inimitable spirit.”

Fighting with addiction for a good portion of his life and finally becoming sober in 1990, he reminisced about ending up in a cell next to Robert Downey Jr. in his young days: “I’m partially responsible for his success,” he joked.

In addition, he also came out to his mom at only 12 years old, stating that she had asked that he had a quiet life and avoided the public eye on his sexuality – nothing with which he complied, of course. Jordan received the GALECA (The Society of LGBTQ Entertainment Critics’ Timeless Star award) due to being “an actor or performer whose exemplary career is marked by character, wisdom and wit.” People often mention how his unapologetically sassy persona had been an inspiration for queer people at the time in which there was little representation on the screen.

He was also involved in the early AIDS crisis as a food-delivery boy for Project Angel Food and partner of AIDS Project Los Angeles (APLA).

In only 67 years, Jordan brought happiness through theatre, music and films, bringing his funny and kind persona to all characters he played. He lived without fear of judgement and was an inspiration to many queer teens. It was hard to find someone who didn’t have a bad thing to say about him.

The entertainment industry will remember him. Rest in peace.

DCU student in the BAs in Communications course. Writing in my spare time.