This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Inspirational women are not hard to come by, there are so many women around the world who are trying to make the world a better place in their own unique ways. 

While some may disagree or think that they are not people who should be looked up to, there are a lot of female celebrities who have been inspirational in one sense or another. They have taken advantage of their fame used it to spread positivity and essentially fight against injustice and other social issues. 

There’s a whole list of women who could be talked about, who are inspirational for so many different reasons. But this article is only going to talk about a few of them. 

One woman who has been inspirational and has been thriving in 2018 and 2019 is The Good Place actress Jameela Jamil. The actress has been using her social media platform and her influence to fight, unapologetically, against social issues, particularly those that involve eating disorders and mental health. 

She has on numerous occasions called out other celebrities from promoting detox and dieting products, for promoting something that could be so damaging to their young audience.  

In retaliation to these products and the ‘perfect body’ image being such a prominent thing, Jamil set up an Instagram account called i_weigh, where people post in photos of themselves and positive things that make up who they are.  

Using her fame to fight these issues is inspirational, when as a POC in the industry it could so easily ruined her career. Especially when she is fighting against other celebrities, because it shows that he cares more about protecting people and giving them a voice than to make sure she has a successful career. 

The next inspirational women on the list is singer Ariana Grande. The main reason because of how strong she has been with all the things that have happened to her in the past couple of years. 

From the Manchester Attack in 2017 to her ex-boyfriend dying of an overdose (and then being blamed for it), she has been through hell and back in the last two years alone, but has still managed to have a strong, thriving career.  

Other inspirational women are Lili Reinhart for being so open about mental health and body positivity. Greta Thunberg a 16-year-old political activist for climate change (and she has recently been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize for her work.)  

Laverne Cox for speaking up about Trans rights and the four girls of Little Mix who are open about mental health, body positivity and feminism through their platforms and through their music (it’s hard not to feel empowered when listening to their music). 

Inspirational women come from all different backgrounds and advocate for a variety of things but the one thing they have in common is helping people, both their fans and followings to be better people and to feel better about themselves. Which can be seen as trivial but is in fact very important in our society. 

My name is Rachel Halpin. I am 21 years old and I'm from Dublin, Ireland. I am a third-year journalism student in Dublin City University.